Dear Sears - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dear Sears

Below is a customer service complaint I just sent to Sears. Can't remember the last time I've been this peeved. I don't have high expectations they will meet my demands, but who knows I would like to be wrong on this one.

Quote:
I went to Boise, ID for the weekend and bought a 12 volt Craftsman compact drill/driver with Purchase Protection from the Sears at the Boise Towne Square Mall. When I got home (6 hours away) I tried charging one of the batteries and the charger indicated that it is defective. I took it to my local Sears in Moscow, ID to return it and they wouldn't take it since they don't carry it. I called Purchase Protection and they told my there wasn't anything they could do about it since it hasn't been 91 days. They said I could return it at the store I purchased it from, or wait 91 days and return it over the phone but I would lose the $13.50 I paid for the Purchase Protection. Why should I bother buying from Craftsman from Sears if I can't take advantage of local customer service? To my knowledge ALL other department stores would have let me return it even if I didn't buy it at their particular branch, or if they didn't carry it. That was the premium I thought I was paying for. I am fervently dissatisfied and never plan on buying anything from Sears again unless you will stand by your product and take it back without me having to drive 12 hours round trip, pay shipping, or lose my Purchase Protection money. I will also do my best to make sure everyone I know realizes how idiotic your return policies are, and how reprehensive it is that you would have me pay for your product defects. I don't mean to sound threatening but I feel I have a moral obligation to keep the same thing from happening to other people.

Roger
Old 4th May 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Last year Craftsman was good IMO, was 1975.

I've found manufacturers code stamps on their stuff (like drill presses and planers) that point to Craftsman coming out of the same factory as those tools in really cheap overseas outfits that also make under the brand "Power Fist" and "Mastercraft" and the like for 1/5 the price.

When it comes to cordless drivers, there's only three names you need remember IMO:

- Hitachi
- DeWalt
- Makita

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
When it comes to cordless drivers, there's only three names you need remember IMO:

- Hitachi
- DeWalt
- Makita
My Ryobi tools have been good to me. They're a good a choice if you can't afford any of the above brands.

I don't bother with anything from Sears. Most of their power tools are just re-badged junk at ridiculous prices like Geek explained.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions Geek and theAnonymous1.

After I get this sorted out, I'll break down and buy a Makita. The sad thing is I just wanted something compact I could keep in my pantry for light household jobs and for tight spaces.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

At this moment, the best buy for such needs, is from Hitachi.

http://www.harald-nyborg.dk/merinfo....r=5543&n=20100

795DKK ~ 130 USD.

I have the DS12DM myself, and have such at work too, which has seen literally thousands of ours. The biggest difference between the DS12DV (one from the link), and the DS12DM, is the motor, and that the DS12DM will set you back 600 USD. I got mine as a present, had it not been so, I'd have bought the DS12DV.

Nice balance, low weight, loads of power, and outstanding quality.

Magura
Old 4th May 2009, 11:58 PM   #6
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a DeWalt 18v drill that has been punished mercilessly. I've had it for ten years and am only now beginning to smell toasted bearings, which can be replaced. Rumor has it that DeWalt has gone downhill since then though.

If I had to buy one today, it would be Porter Cable. I have a router and belt sander from them and they are truly industrial quality.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Got curious as to the price in the US.

They almost throw Hitachi at people in the US.

Same as in the above mentioned link, just in the US instead of Denamrk.

Almost half price in the us. The Danish price is even an offer. Regular price here is 4 times the regular price in the US

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...VF3&lpage=none

Magura
Old 5th May 2009, 01:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Magura,

Thanks for the link. That will definitely make "the short list." I'm also eying the Makita DF330DW ($145 US, link). The Makita has slightly less torque and slightly less battery capacity, but it weighs over a pound less and is more compact thanks to Li-Ion batteries. I also have to consult the mrs. (who is pretty handy in her own right, she is an interior designer by trade). She mentioned she likes being able to stand the drill up on the battery, but I don't know if she would prefer stand-up-ness over lightness.

Roger
Old 5th May 2009, 01:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Makita is still a reliable brand. However, they are also famous for lack of ergonomics and balance, plus they're ofthen very noisy.

We have a couple of Makita's at work as well, they rattle, they whine, they're uncomfortable to use, but they keep working. The batteries are not particular good though.

Magura
Old 5th May 2009, 01:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would add Milwaukee to the list of cordless drills/drivers to look for. Not cheap, but they do design for contractor grade usage.

In regards to the Craftsman stuff, if they haven't changed their supplier(s) recently, a lot of the regular stuff used to be made by Ryobi from what I could tell. And the Craftsman Industrial was largely made by DeWalt/Black & Decker (same company). This was around 5 to 10 years ago, so things could have changed since then. I have a 9.6v Industrial cordless drill I bought 10 years ago, I think it still works. I haven't had to use it in a couple years, as I have four other cordless drills.

Peace,

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!