Up to date PIC programming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I've been away from PIC-programming (all programming actually..) for a few years.

Last time I did any PIC'ing I used a 16F877A due to the size and Microchip sample-program. I programmed it with a DIY programming interface on the parrallel-port. Did a lot on work on that platform and was pretty satisfied.

Any of you guys have any fresh knowledge on the subject? What´s the favorite DIY programming-interface these days? What kind of PICs do people use these days.

Thanks in advance.

Regards TroelsM

If I may,

I would suggest getting the PicKit2 for $40 (or the PicKit3 for $60). Over the years, I have spent over $100 on several of the "cheaper" diy third-party programmers, only to realize that not many DIY programmers can program ALL PICs (some only program the 10F, 12F, 16F, and 18F, others can only program the 16-bit series, others can only program the 32-bit series, etc.).

The PicKit2 is from Microchip, so you can be sure that it will be able to program all of their microcontrollers without limitation. If Microchip releases a new microcontroller in the future, you can be sure that the PicKit2 will be able to program that as well. You usually have to wait awhile for the third-party programmers to be able to program a new product that has just come out.

As well, Pickit 2 is fully compatible with MPLab (Microchip's free programming environment).

Hi.

Thanks for the advice. At ~60$ shipped to my doorstep the PicKit2 seems to be a great and cheap solution.

Now to the next challenge: I have some experience with the 16fXXX-family, but I understand that there is a free C-compiler to the 18fXXX-series?

Do you know if the PicKit2 can do in-circuit-programming? (I've been to lazy to read the datasheet.)

Regards TroelsM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.