Ferris Wheel Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a model ferris wheel for my girlfriend, as kind of an art piece. I want to basically make it out of coat hanger wire, twisting and bending pieces into the shape I want. Heres my design in sketchup:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Since ferris wheels are always nicely lit up, I want to run LEDs up the arms and around the loop of it. This is where I want some ideas on how I should maybe do this. Should I make strings of SMT LEDs and run them along the spokes, or should I just do a few 3mm LEDs on each spoke and a dozen or so around the wheel? Does anyone have any more clever ideas? I'd love some input on my ideas. Thanks for reading.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sounds fun. How big are you thinking?
Could you use different materials? . . . . What about building it using a heavy buss wire structure which would also act as the conductor for the LED supply. Maybe one side of the wheel V+, the other side V- (or ground). The cross members would all have to be a non-conductor but it would save having to run wire all over the place. . . . . . or maybe do it so that alternate spokes of each wheel be alternate polarities so you could just stretch out LEDs between them. Covering the LED leads with various colours of heat shrink would also dress it up (maybe?) . . . . . .

Depending on the size and number of LED's to be powered you may want to cover the structural conductors with a paint or lacquer to prevent an accidental shock. Maybe the coat hanger wire would be a good idea here after all . I wonder how good a conductor it is. . . . . . . . .

Could be very fun project. Please post a pic when you're done ! (of whatever you decide to do.)

Wheel diameter will be around 8 inches, give or take depending on how I like it when I get started.

Yeah, I thought about using the whole thing as a big electrical conduit, maybe that would work for the ground side but I don't think I could get the V+ to play nice and still make it simple and attractive. The LEDs are going to be a real problem since the wires won't be pretty, but the end result will be gorgeous with lights if I can pull it off cleanly.

Maybe painting it with UV paints and putting UV LEDs around the base to make it flourese?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Still thinking. . . . . . how about 1.8mm axial LEDs in series, strung through coloured straw size hard plastic tube . . . . . . . .

yah yah I know, but I AM thinking about it. . . . . .

By the way, do you plan on having it rotate ? If so, manual or motor power ?

Yes, it will rotate. I'll find a small DC motor, put a tiny wheel on it, and that will run against the outside edge of the wheel so that it rotates at a relatively slow rate. If need be I'll put in a gear to slow it down some more.

The LEDs would be powered by wires running up to the axle, and the bare wire looped around the axle. On the axle will be a metal piece (insulated from the rest of the axle) that will be connected to the LEDs. As the wheel turns the wire will touch this rotating piece of metal on the axle and power the LEDs. Its all very unscientific, but I think it will work fine. Thats mostly a do-it-when-i-do-it thing.

Axial LEDs look perfect, too. Either those or some good ol' 3mm coloured ones. I have a billion of those already, and their low-tech look will add to the theme.

Coat hangers can die.

A lot has happened since the last post here. I've gone to 12 and 8 gauge solid copper transformer wire, and this has proven to be daunting too. I couldn't solder it without a blowtorch (something I've never done before) so the whole thing has been a learning experience, it doesn't look too bad, except for the center hubs that I will have to cover with something.

Pics:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.