Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Question about how to wire an Isolation Transformer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2009, 12:23 AM   #91
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbcassell
The NEC code makes no exceptions which is the source of our aggressive stance in how isolation xformers are wired into power systems.

Maybe it's time the NEC gets up to speed. I don't know but the only thing I can think of is legacy support for olden time products like AC/DC radio's... you know the ones with the 120 neutral tied to the chassis.
I just have a problem with some people citing NEC requirements for a device/product which is not in it's bailiwick.
Old 27th April 2009, 04:48 PM   #92
gpapag is online now gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Hi all
In my early posts in this thread I clearly raised the flag for help and advise regarding safety of use and noise immunity of an isolation transformer. Then participant(s) responded promptly that safety is the main issue and provided references.
Me, from my part started to feel uncomfortable, because I realized that I am lucking the required knowledge.

Now think of this: A man who has the misfortune to see a lot of unsafe installations and who has access to statistics about accidents induced by electricity misuse, visits the site where a poster (me) presents an electrical connection scheme which under some (say very rare) circumstances can raise a safety issue or a hazard.
This man has the following options:
1. To let the poster take his chances.
2. To warn loud and clear about the (distant) danger.
3. To insist in warning when the poster ignores his warning.
4. To provide data when the poster is not able to understand the content of the warning.
5. To leave the site, leaving the poster to his own devices after understanding that his intervening is not welcome.

Talking from the posters side, I am glad that this man chose the uncomfortable 2, 3 and 4 options. He hasn't earn some extra money, he hasn't got a medallion , yet he has to defend his myopic posts ( the term magnifying glass posts would have been a fair one).

Thank you dear man

Regards
George

Question about how to wire an Isolation TransformerHide this!Advertise here!