Touch sensitive sound modulation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2009, 08:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Touch sensitive sound modulation

Hello. I have been searching the web for a few days and haven't found what I am looking for, but pieces of which might work together. Essentially I am looking to build something that works along the lines of a pitch bend wheel on a synth but with the following:

- touch sensitive, say a copper plate or other such device and pitch/modulation changes as you move up and down the plate

- simple as possible and small

- portable power source, preferably 9V or less

I can solder and follow a schematic, just have no understanding of circuits despite my attempts at reading books, websites, etc. If a sections function is explained, I can probably figure out how to modify to some degree if needed.

Thanks in advance
Old 13th April 2009, 10:24 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There was a device from Interlink Electronics called an FSR linear potentiometer, a flat panel sensitive to both the touch position and the touch force. I don't know if they still make them or not, but it's worth a search.
Old 13th April 2009, 03:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you wanting to use this on a digital synth, as an outboard controller? In this case you'll need something that generates midi data control signals.

Or, do you want it to 'bend' an existing analogue signal?

You might try looking at circuits for Theremins, which use RF proximity detection to manipulate frequency and amplitude of their own tones. At least the circuits will give you some ideas.

Hide this!Advertise here!