best audio amplifier book?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Bouvett is offline Bouvett  Malta
diyAudio Member

Exclamation best audio amplifier book??

hey people , does anyone know(and can tell me) the best book to learn form the beginning the art of audio amplifiers please??
thanks a lot
Old 7th April 2009, 09:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to DIYaudio!

I'd recommend:
The art of linear electronics by John Linsley Hood and
Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook by Douglas Self

JLH is a good beginner into to all electronics whilst Douglas Self is more detailed on amp design.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

By, "from the beginning" , do you mean electronics or audio/amp design ?
Old 7th April 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Banned

You can't just learn audio amplifiers in isolation.

'The Art of Electronics' by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill is widely regarded as the best general electronics handbook for graduate students. If you don't have this book, you should buy it before you buy any audio books.

w
Old 8th April 2009, 12:53 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm with the pack here. HorHill for the basics, Self for solid state amps, and Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers" 3rd edition for... valve amplifiers.
Old 9th April 2009, 05:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not hijacking just trying to add to this thread. I just wanted to say that I'm a beginner when it comes to electronics and I took everyone's advice and just ordered "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

I hope the jargon used inside isn't above me as I have never really studied electronics in the past.

-Pete
Old 9th April 2009, 07:35 AM   #7
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Warning: avoid the Rainer zur Linde "Build your own Audio Valve Amplifiers".

It's mostly a collection of very mediocre designs published by Elektor, chock full of ridiculous design errors and typos.

My biggest waste of 40 bucks on a book since John Kekes pedantic piffle on moral wisdom.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 9th April 2009, 08:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stereo.pete
Not hijacking just trying to add to this thread. I just wanted to say that I'm a beginner when it comes to electronics and I took everyone's advice and just ordered "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

I hope the jargon used inside isn't above me as I have never really studied electronics in the past.

-Pete
No, "The Art" is a great book, certainly one of the best, but if you're studying everything on your own for some of the very basics on electrons and resistance and stuff I think I'd still put in a good word for books like the old Rider publication Basic Electricity
The material is not quite so condensed and so for a complete beginner (or not) is better reading for buses, trains, cafes etc. I also really like the old military text thing of asking a few questions at the end of each section to remind you what you were just reading and that you actually did learn something.
Old 9th April 2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I'm still waiting for my ultimate audio book publish by Mr. Pass.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:24 AM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Glen, 100% agreed. My favorite is the amp with a volume control inside the feedback loop.

Hide this!Advertise here!