Neighbor complains - he lives in a pre-made home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My neighbor always says my bass (well usually only when something with bass kick drum is going) is thumping his walls. When it is in the middle of the day I usually just want to say **** your walls. However I would like to not make a bad relationship with the neighbor.

My living room has NO other option for placement of speakers. I have two forward firing and ported forward subwoofers.

There is one room behind it, then 10-20ft between our places.

The big problem is he has a pre-made home that is probably made out of 2x2s and absorbs everything under the sun. He considers himself sensitive to bass. He can never hear the music, only feel the bass. At night, on the right nights, he thinks it all comes from some bar/club/****box nearby and it does, so I can just add in to it. However during the day I want to listen to my music.

I was told maybe sound board, like they use in walls would work, just somewhere between my room and his place, probably behind my listening chair and the massive painting that is wood and on 2x4s to hold it up. I have no idea where you buy sound board. I have no idea what the real name is.. I have heard estimates of 4x8ft sheets for $8 or abouts... It does not exists as far as I know.

Whatever I do it needs to be *** **** cheap. I have next to no money.

Thanks for the suggestion. I rent from a friend and am not sure I can re-do a wall in it. Perhaps I could make a wall out in the yard though...

I am also not responsible for people sensitive to non-four-letter words when put into not obscene, lower language terms. If that is going to be edited I would request that everything environmentally and homosexually that is on the same level be edited as well.

That MLV sure is not cheap. Unfortunately there is no real easy access to the inside of the wall because the attic has blown in insulation that makes a mess if you try to open the door to it.

I considered maybe constructing some sort of container that is around 15ft wide and 10ft tall, or just to the window of the room behind the living room, and buying a truck load of sand or two to fill it. The reason is that I would almost only be paying for the sand. I might be able to pull off getting the materials real cheap for a container, or even make it out of pallets that are free around town and just use a tarp to contain the sand.

I guess in no way would it be attractive.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Perhaps measuring the spl level at his location with a cheap Radio Shack sound pressure meter would help you to determine just how loud the bass is, it might be possible that reducing the levels at your end by just a couple of dB might be acceptable, it is also possible that legally this fellow doesn't have a leg to stand on. Given your lack of funds some more negotiation seems reasonable.

Adding another layer of drywall in your listening room is going to be about as effective as anything you can do, the more complex wall structures described in previous posts will help more, however to be effective you must do walls, ceiling and if insufficiently rigid, the floor as well..

I want to be a good neighbor. I would be willing to bet at full volume that I never play at he could not get a DB reading of more than 20 if that. He probably hears his cheap construction of his house moving, not any sound.

What levels are legal? I doubt there is any chance in the world I approach that. When I am outside of the house with it loud, as I have tried, I am lucky to hear anything. I mean computer fans are loader in DB measuring.

I still want to not **** him off. Yes I am poor. I have thought about talking to him and explaining things like how there is no "bass knob" on my stereo (DIY amp, modified CD player etc). He did at one point say he would just adjust. Today he is getting over being sick. Perhaps it is just a one time thing but I am paranoid to death, I look out my window to know when he is gone to enjoy music when this happens. I mean it only happened once before though, and that was with a Warren Zevon song of all things, this time was White Stripes... However no bass heavy trance or anything has ever made him talk to me. This just stresses me out a lot. I can say I doubt he can hear anything, ever, in his bedroom.

Here's an idea... give your neighbor an RF remote control so he can turn your volume down if it bothers him. If that's too difficult/expensive, get a motorized volume pot from Digikey, and run wires to a switch that powers it in the "quieter" direction. Or use the motor and gearing from an electric toy car from a thrift store to motorize a regular volume control.

You have my sympathy , I have the same problem. Feels like I'm on holiday when my neighbours aren't around or go away , because then I can drop the hammer on the old DC300a !!

Thing is , they have this damn rat on a stick dog that yaps like it's gonna croak whenever they leave it alone for more than 10 seconds , but the local authority can't act on my complaint about that because "it doesn't constitute a nuisance unless the dog barks for more than 5 consecutive hours per day for at least 10 days !!! " However , they threaten to confiscate my audio equipment if they complain about my music at all !!

I wanna live in an underground bunker !!

Low frequencies are difficult to control, anyway; they are essentially omnidirectional, contain the largest part of the energy in most styles of music, require large surface areas in absorbers and can frequently find alternate transmission paths.

So, a wall which would stop high and mid frequencies, they just ooze round, and where the others are dying out as the square of the distance (faster in the ultra-highs), some of their transmission systems are close to lossless.

And listening to the low frequencies of the music without the rest is almost as annoying as sitting in a bus next to someone ruining his ears with the buds, where you hear the scratchy harmonics and the hi-hat track. Perhaps you should offer to set up satellite speakers so he can appreciate the music.

Is there any possibility that structural transmission is involved? I know the houses are separate, with no continuous concrete raft to carry vibrations, but I've managed good low-loss exchange with sewer pipes, rarely acoustically damped.

If so, isolating the speaker cabinets from the floor could reduce the problem (you're not supposed to be listening to bass that way, anyway; the sound travels much faster through the floor than the air, ruining your phase response) High-Fi shops sell special cones to do the job, for a smallish fortune, but all you need are a couple of silent blocks, as used for removing vibrations from car engine blocks or air conditioning compressors. actually, pencil erasers would do; any rubber blocks that stop vibrations from the cabinet feeding straight into the house structure. Cheap enough to try, even without analysing the situation completely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.