Custom Remote Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I'm not sure where else to post this so hopefully I'm in the right forum. I'd like to build a custom learning remote but I don't quite know where to start. What I want is a simple square panel, maybe 8" square, with around 30 buttons on it and the ability to "learn" each button. Are there kits for such a thing? I can construct the case but need some guidance on the inner bits. Thanks for any help!

I don't know if you're any good at programming assembly, but one of the PIC microcontrollers from Microchip would be a good candidate with some opto devices as I/O.

Alternatively, hacking up a Radioshack universal remote and re-wiring your own buttons might be just as cost effective.

Unless you're into the educational DIY aspect of learning about the IR RC chips.

Just a thought.:)

Thanks for the reply. I'm no good at programming, so I was hoping to at least find a way to use the guts from a generic universal learning remote and connect my own keypad or buttons. The other trick is that I need so many buttons that a normal remote might not work.

Thank for the ideas. When I counted again I realized I needed more like 100 buttons so my plans have changed a bit. Basically I want to build is a remote control for quick operation of a few items. My home theater is a mish mosh of a lot of different things, some of it modified vintage gear and some modern electronics. I think I've narrowed it down to about 30-40 buttons. They would be basic functions to control component power, video and audio source selection, and CD, DVD and Tivo control. I do have an RCA universal learning remote that I can pillage for parts, so actually all I need is a way to connect a custom keypad to it, and of course I need to figure out how to make a custom keypad! Even using regular physical buttons would be ok. The housing will be a custom machined aluminum case, that's the easy part for me. The guts are where I get lost.

most RC keypads are of the carbon pill variety. There's a rubber membrane that sits on top of the PC board. For each button there's a nipple on the rubber membrane that is carbon loaded and hence conductive (10-500ohms or so) on the PC board there are a series of interdigitated fingers forming the two poles of the switch. The rubber membrane shorts these out when you press.

So....take two wires, one from either end of the interdigitated finger structure to the two poles on your switch and hey presto. You may need to add a 100ohm resistor in series with each, sometimes the resistance forms part of a de-bouncing circuit (so you don't get multiple steps for each press)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.