Rane Distribution Amp and Volume Control Knob Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post and I am admittedly a novice. I have a Rane DA 216a distribution amp that I am using to set up a sound system through my house. Currently I have only a bookshelf stereo connected to the inputs (not permanent, but it's what I have at the moment). I have the switches set to combine the left and right inputs to output a mono signal. I have the outputs wired to mono volume control knobs (Model 40-993 from Radio Shack - yes I know they are crap, but that's beside the point). From there, each volume control know is wired to a single speaker (Insignia in-ceiling speakers model NS-C6500). My problem is this... When the stereo is connected directly to the volume control knob and then to the speaker, the volume control knob works just fine. When the stereo is connected directly to the distribution amp and the amp is connected directly to the speaker, the volume controls on the distribution amp work just fine. When everything is connected in the proper sequence (stereo, distribution amp, volume control, speaker), the volume control does not work properly. The volume will increase until the knob is about halfway up, but then as you continue to turn the knob, the volume will slightly decrease. Like I said... I'm a novice and I'm probably doing something wrong. Can someone help me?

Hi
If the rane can be used in bridged amp mode (MONO?), maybe a problem for it output when the RS volume is connected.
Try using the rane in the stereo mode using either left or right. ie lower power non-bridge outputs in stereo - pls re-read the Rane manual.

When everything is connected in the proper sequence (stereo, distribution amp, volume control, speaker)

Hi koverfield

A Distribution Amp only "splits" the signal (eg your CD or iPOD). You will need to connect it to a power amp then to speakers.

In other words, if you have a CD player connected to your Distribution Amp and the Distribution amp is output to say 4 rooms, you will need an amplifier in each of the rooms to power your speakers. The Distribution Amp is not a power amp. It cannot power the speakers directly.

Cheers
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.