Rane Distribution Amp and Volume Control Knob Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2009, 10:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rane Distribution Amp and Volume Control Knob Problem

This is my first post and I am admittedly a novice. I have a Rane DA 216a distribution amp that I am using to set up a sound system through my house. Currently I have only a bookshelf stereo connected to the inputs (not permanent, but it's what I have at the moment). I have the switches set to combine the left and right inputs to output a mono signal. I have the outputs wired to mono volume control knobs (Model 40-993 from Radio Shack - yes I know they are crap, but that's beside the point). From there, each volume control know is wired to a single speaker (Insignia in-ceiling speakers model NS-C6500). My problem is this... When the stereo is connected directly to the volume control knob and then to the speaker, the volume control knob works just fine. When the stereo is connected directly to the distribution amp and the amp is connected directly to the speaker, the volume controls on the distribution amp work just fine. When everything is connected in the proper sequence (stereo, distribution amp, volume control, speaker), the volume control does not work properly. The volume will increase until the knob is about halfway up, but then as you continue to turn the knob, the volume will slightly decrease. Like I said... I'm a novice and I'm probably doing something wrong. Can someone help me?
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
If the rane can be used in bridged amp mode (MONO?), maybe a problem for it output when the RS volume is connected.
Try using the rane in the stereo mode using either left or right. ie lower power non-bridge outputs in stereo - pls re-read the Rane manual.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When everything is connected in the proper sequence (stereo, distribution amp, volume control, speaker)
Hi koverfield

A Distribution Amp only "splits" the signal (eg your CD or iPOD). You will need to connect it to a power amp then to speakers.

In other words, if you have a CD player connected to your Distribution Amp and the Distribution amp is output to say 4 rooms, you will need an amplifier in each of the rooms to power your speakers. The Distribution Amp is not a power amp. It cannot power the speakers directly.

Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:35 AM   #4
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

oops my bad I was picturing this PA (not a line out device )http://www.rane.com/pdf/ma4dat.pdf
Old 3rd April 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Maybe I am wrong, but this DA is not just a splitter. It amplifies each output line. Here is the manual: http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/da216aman.pdf
Old 3rd April 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It amplifies each output line.
Yes, Line Level, meaning Signal Level. It is not a power amp.
Last page of manual, bottom left.
Click the image to open in full size.

For a multi-channel amplifier, check out the Rane MA4.
http://www.rane.com/ma4.html

Hide this!Advertise here!