massive board-wide amp group design/build......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i bet if a lot of us on this board put our heads together, we could design a real killer amplifier. actually, we would probably design TWO amplifiers. the first would be ultra simple and have almost unmeasurable distortion and noise. the other one would incorporate EVEYBODY's favorite enhancement, would have about 1000 transistors in it, contain every whistle and bell anybody could imagine, weigh about 400lb, and would combine all of the best features of all known amplifier classes. and would be able to switch into it's various modes as the power level, load impedance and music style changed......

btw.... does anybody have a copy of the TI data sheet (from 1971, i think) for their Dark Emitting Diode?

And neither design would ever be finished, discussions would devolve into arguments until someone was called a Nazi and other people posted insulting Photoshopped pictures.

Unless we're lucky, and one competent professional designer would create a working design on his own. But, days after it was completed, crucial components would be obsoleted by the manufacturers and any substitution would result in a very high power square wave generator.

dangus said:
And neither design would ever be finished, discussions would devolve into arguments until someone was called a Nazi and other people posted insulting Photoshopped pictures.

Unless we're lucky, and one competent professional designer would create a working design on his own. But, days after it was completed, crucial components would be obsoleted by the manufacturers and any substitution would result in a very high power square wave generator.

it was, after all, april first........ i figured even if it were attempted, it would be "death by committee" for any project attempted this way. OTOH, a CONTEST for best working prototype might actually show some results. i got an email from an engineering magazine i subscribe to, and they are holding a contest called "Iron Circuits". i was going to submit a design i've been working on. unfortunately i found out that there's an entry fee, a fairly large one (at least for me), so i didn't enter. the same magazine will however pay you to submit a circuit design for their monthly design ideas column......

as far as crucial components being obsoleted, i'm aware of a major manufacturer of banking equipment that seems to have a knack for designing equipment with soon-to-be obsolete components, then buying up all existing stock of those components, so if you need a stepper motor for one of their machines, you have to buy it from them, because the "off the shelf" components they used are now obsolete, discontinued and completely "unobtainium" anywhere else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.