DIY Heavy Bi-wire Speaker Cables (Help) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2001, 10:59 PM   #1
JJC is offline JJC
diyAudio Member

Question Help!!!

Hey everybody,

As an experiment, I made a set of Bi-wire speaker leads. This is what I did. I bought about 80 feet of (8 gauge) Power 8 Monster High Current pure copper cable total cost $40. I cut it into eight 10 foot pieces. I paired up these eight pieces of cable ( red piece with a black piece). I then twisted the red & black pairs until I had four twisted pairs(2 per channel). They sound GREAT! much better than I expected! They sound allot better than my $300 factory made Monster Bi-wire Z cables. The DIY cables have a larger and more powerful soundstage, allot more bass, and a clearer sound. It's like, my amp feels more comfortable with these BIG cables.

I do have a question about my DIY cables though. Is there anyway that these huge cables can hurt my amp? Can the resistance become too low?

Thanks, JJ

[Edited by JJC on 12-09-2001 at 05:04 PM]
Old 10th December 2001, 01:36 AM   #2
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Too low ?
Are you kidding ?

No, the problem usually is an increase of induction or capacity which can be a problem for the amp forcing it into some instability or oscillation.

I do not think this will happen with a tube amp (?), and surely not with your cable.
Another problem often arrises when the practical work (soldering etc.) is not done properly !

If it sounds as you mentioned, great !
It might well be true that your amps seem to work easier with this cable.

best wishes
Klaus
Old 10th December 2001, 08:34 PM   #3
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
After constructing my cables braided cables, my amps were sent into oscillation the moment that I reached a certain power output. If your amps do this, you can add a simple zobel network at the speaker terminals to correct the problem. Other than that, I'm not aware of any problems you may encounter.

Hide this!Advertise here!