Duct Seal in automotive dampening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

After modding some of my home speakers, I started thinking about modding my car speakers a little. How do you think that Duct Seal would work on a speaker inside of a car door?

On that note as well, I started looking at dynamat, etc. They use a butyl based polymer lined with an alumin. sheet.

According to the MSDS sheet ( http://www.idealindustries.ca/media/pdfs/products/duct_seal_msds.pdf ), duct seal has a chemical comisition of 'Butyl Rubber Composite'. Would this mean that duct seal could be used as a replacement for dynamat? Would it adhere well to the vertical side of a car door opening/closing? Just a thought......

Dynamat is also very similar to ice guard. I've argued in the past to use the later because it is very very much cheaper. After working on a Corvette a couple months ago, I can now attest that the new Dynamat extreme has superior adhesive to ice guard. The aluminum on it seems to make it much a better product also. At $100 per trunk kit (which seems to have the best bang per buck), it's expensive.

If ice guard had better adhesive I would still recommend it. I got myself in a huge argument concerning the butyl based polymer with someone pushing Dynamat on a car forum once who insisted it was the only way to go. I'd like to check out Duct Seal sometime. Does either Home Depot or Lowes carry it in stock?

I definitely agree that the ideal brand is a good product. I used it based on what I read before from Dave and was really pleased with the result on my home speakers. I found the product locally at an electrical (commercial electrician) supply store.

I think that I am going to try a sample patch on the side wall of the door, as well as doing the corners. I'm pretty sure that it will stick in the corner's, but have doubts about the flat panel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.