Rca Interconnects With Rg Cheap Cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2009, 12:06 PM   #1
juluska is offline juluska  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Default Rca Interconnects With Rg Cheap Cables

Is it possible to make good quality rca interconnect cables with cheap RG cables? If possible, which is the best RG? RG-58,59,400,214?
Thanks
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
R.I.P.

In a word, no!

But it is possible to make very good sounding interconnects from inexpensive wire wrap wire and some cheap RCA plugs, the plans are in my Supercables CookBook.

Regards, Allen (Vacuum State)
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Smile why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Wright
In a word, no!

But it is possible to make very good sounding interconnects from inexpensive wire wrap wire and some cheap RCA plugs, the plans are in my Supercables CookBook.

I see RG-59 is used in a great number of cables, can you explain with simple words why is impossible to achieve good quality cables with coaxial cables?

What about this kit:
http://www.diyaudiocable.com/bruce-b...erconnect.html

So bad are they?

Thanks
Old 24th March 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
R.I.P.

Regular RG-59 etc use a braided outer shield, which has to act as the signal return. The signal passing through the braid has thousands of interconnections, all which may become to some degree corrodded with time.

The signal through the braid is like riding a bicycle on cobble stones, not pure and smooth.

Try it yourself...

Old 24th March 2009, 02:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Allen,

Didnít know electrons travel on bicycles But to be honest, I have good results with RG58 and RG59, where RG59 has lower capacitance over RG58.

At the moment all of my lo-signal audio cabling consist of Belden 75 ohms SATV downstream cable with excellent results. Works also great as S/PDIF cable.

Cheers
Old 24th March 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
R.I.P.

If you are happy with the sound of such cables, who am I to critique you? But I am not, and have many designs that sound far far better, to my ears art least!

But of course your coax cables work well as a digital interconnect - a proper 75 ohm cable is what a digital system is intended to have.

Old 24th March 2009, 03:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm tired of proving expensive cables looking for the best sound. I've proved several models of nordost, transparent audio, jpslabs and many others and i think they are really tricks. I think Their price is not a product of better quality cables, but the existence of a buyer stupid enough to buy it. So i will prove how cheap I can go with cables to achieve no audible differences between transparent or nordost cables and diy cheap cables in blind tests. First one i will prove is RG59.
I can prove also a diy cable project suggested by Allen.

Thanks.
Old 24th March 2009, 04:14 PM   #8
R.I.P.

I have written the book on DIY cables, it's called "The SuperCables CookBook" and is available on my website. WE have sold nearly 4000 copies.

If you want a very simple but very good sounding cable, then:

1/ take three lengths of 28 gauge wire wrap wire

2/ Braid them together

3/ At one end only, join two of the wires together.

4/ Solder on the cheapest, lightest RCA sockets you can find - DO NOT USE anything heavy like WBT!

5/ The wires that were joined become the earth side at one end.

6/ One of these "earth" wires at the other end becomes the earth connection to the RCA plug, the other "earth" wire is not connected to anything.

7/ The third wire is of course "hot" at both ends.

This exact wire has beaten MANY expensive commercial cables in direct listening tests, and a super version of this design but made using pure silver wire and solid silver Bullet plugs has beaten the most expensive I/C on the market - the Nordost ODIN at some $15,000!

Give this a try.

Old 24th March 2009, 04:21 PM   #9
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

I appreciate both of your ideas and work. I hope you both continue.

Unfortunately, cables 'sound' is the sort of thing that just goes in circles. See here. - currently on post #3471...

Also unfortunately, I have yet to see anyone publish hard data demonstrating the audibility of interconnects (not including interconnects that have 'problems').

If anyone has any evidence for either side, PLEASE SHARE!

Juluska - if you want help setting up a rigorous test, please contact SY on this forum. He knows his stuff.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default skin effect

I've finished RG-59 interconnection cables. The first impression is very good, very detailed sound compared with Virtual Dynamics David Series. Rg-59 central conductor is made of copper plated steel. Is possible that copper plated steel can reduce skin effect?
I'm proving it with MHZS CD-88 hybrid cd, passive preamplifier and First Watt F5 clone amplifier and I think the sound is little more detailled and I have to reduce one or two steps the volume pot than using Virtual Dynamics cables...

Hide this!Advertise here!