Newbie here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi gang,

I have a quick question that for me is a nightmare, but I am hoping for you that it will be a piece of cake. I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I have a B&K Components AVR 202 receiver and an Advent HD TV that I am trying to set up a surround sound system for. (I also have a DVD player I have succesfully hooked up to the tv and used with no problem.)

My challenge is that I have no idea how to make all this work. I have already hooked up the speakers. (I am missing a bass box, but have hooked up all the speakers from the back of the receiver to the remaining speakers.. ie RF, RR, C, LF, LR with regular speaker wire.) The problem is that there are like a thousand RCA ins and out at the back of the receiver and I have no idea where to start.

I tried hooking up an RCA cable (red and white) out from the TV and in to the receiver but all I get is a huge buzz. There are so many variables that exist in the combinations of wiring ins and outs it makes my head spin! I know this system is capable of doing way above my skill level and was hoping I could get just a little advice on how to get things rolling.

Thank you in advance!
Marcus

Do you have coaxial or optical output capability from your TV? If so, connect that to your receiver. Then connect speaker wires from your receiver to your speakers in accordance to their function (front mains, rears, sides, subwoofer, etc.). Make sure you are not using acting monitors and connecting via speaker wires. Use RCA cables and the analog out on your receiver (if you have it) if the speakers are active.

If you don't have digital output capability from your TV, then I guess you just use RCA out from your TV, then RCA into your receiver, and then speaker wires out to your speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.