Hearing ability of blind people

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can't remember on what show it was but there was a guy who lost his sight at a young age and steadily developed the ability to locate objects and navigate through some crude form of echo location using clicking sounds he made with his tongue.

He can't locate small objects but he could walk around without bumping into things using this technique also in surroundings not familiar to him.

I found that quite astonishing.

Hugo82 said:
Can't remember on what show it was but there was a guy who lost his sight at a young age and steadily developed the ability to locate objects and navigate through some crude form of echo location using clicking sounds he made with his tongue.

He can't locate small objects but he could walk around without bumping into things using this technique also in surroundings not familiar to him.

Sounds quite alot like Daredevil from Marvel Comics :)

Hugo82 said:

Here is a video about him.

I remember coming across this effect some years ago when I read about an experiment where they removed the whiskers from kittens (I don't know how they could bring themselves to mutilate the poor kittens, but anyway...) then at a later stage in their life examined their brains.

They found that the part of the brain responsible for processing the whisker input had become rewired to process input from other senses. Furthermore, this effect was stronger the earlier in the kitten's life the whiskers were removed; if the kitten was already fully grown when the whiskers were removed then only a little rewiring occurred.

It's no surprise that the same happens in humans.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.