Suggestions for decent headphones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What a lucky guy I am! My wife decided she really likes my Bose headphones, so she has taken them over from me. Then she suggested that we need to get another pair for me. Cool, because I've heard there are a lot of better sounding phones for less than the price of the Bose.
I'm hoping to get some suggestions for noise canceling phones for less than $300. I like the noise canceling since I travel by air quite a bit.
Any ideas???
Thanks.
Mike

If you REALLY like active noise cancelling - er...good for you. I don't.

In your position, I'd buy a decent pair of sealed headphones. A good pair provides far better isolation than active noise canceling.

Some models you should look into which sound very good indeed, and should fall easily within your budget

Beyerdynamic DT-150
Beyerdynamic DT-250
Audio Technica ATH-A900 (the A700 and A1000 are nice, too)

and my personal favourite, which I'm using right now:

Sennheiser HD-25-1-II (Not to be confused with the similar looking, but completely different sounding, HD-25-SP).

Only downside to the HD-25-1's is that they're designed to be moderately portable, so the contact area on the ear is relatively small, making them feel rather "clampy" until you get used to them. If that's a problem, look at the Beyers, which are full size and go around the ear rather than on it. The Senn's isolation, however, is fantastic - I use them every day on my 1.5 hour train commute.

Oh, and avoid the PXC-350 and 450, they're really bad headphones for the money.

TheSeekerr said:
Note that while the Sennheiser 555, 595, 600 and 650 are all good headphones (I don't -personally- like the 595 much, but it's still not a bad headphone), they're completely open, so they're no use at all outside the home.

True, I probably shouldn't have even brought them up, but I thought I would point them out as options for home use.

For closed cans Sony MDR-V6 (NOT V600) are pretty good for the price. I compared them with a lot of different phones and I honestly don't feel like I am missing anything WRT the $600 Sennheisers. Bass is slightly different, mids are a bit more forward on the Sony's, but nothing earth shattering.

I know this is an old post, but if you actually want noise canceling / travel a lot then I HIGHLY recommend the sennheiser PXC-350's I own them and love them. They are very sensitive however as to what you are using to drive them I have found, as in what mp3 player which will most likely be in use if you are a frequent traveler.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.