Lucky catch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2009, 04:45 PM   #1
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Cool Lucky catch

I just had to boast a little about this lucky catch. All the stuff on the pic was on the way from the company that I work for, to the scrap-container! Thanks to a friend of mine, we had the stuff redirected to my garage.
Maybe you would like to know that the company has nearly 3000 ppl. and is a quite big area. A lot of stuff like that, doesnt get thrown out from a small company, all of a sudden.
Anyway, on the pic is from left; a sweep function generator, Phillips frequency counter, Phillips table DMM. In the middle Tektronix scope with dual trace, differential and timebase amps. Next a Phillips lab supply and a bunch of Bruel & Kjaer instruments. In the background, more B&K instruments with a couple of large spools of magnetwire (Nice, considering the Cu prices) Another reason for starting this thread is the B&K instruments! Some of them has names that I didnt even know excisted so I will probably have some questions that I hope some of you guys can help answering
All the measuring devices are apparently in working order, as far as they have been turned on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucky_catch_1.jpg (81.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 6th March 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

More B&K instruments. The components seems to be first class stuff, judging from the boxes I took a look inside. The instrument boxes are easy to access. Only a single screw holds each of the top, bottom and side panels. Really convenient.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bruel_kjaer.jpg (71.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 6th March 2009, 07:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

First question: what is a ramp generator and what is the use? I think I heard the "Ramp" word before, but cant really connect it to something usefull! Sorry 'bout the beer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramp.jpg (63.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 6th March 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Question number two: piezoresistive amp?? What is that? Anyone?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg piezo.jpg (57.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 6th March 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
Question number two: piezoresistive amp?? What is that? Anyone?

lucky (bstrd) luke

amp for piezoresistive element - usually used as weight sensor
Old 6th March 2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Steen,

I am sure that most of us can help you to properly get rid of that stuff!!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:22 PM   #7
clm811 is offline clm811  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what is a ramp generator and what is the use?
A "ramp" (waveform) generator is a signal generator which produces a "ramp-like" voltage (like one or more cycles of a sawtooth wave*), the amplitude of which increases(or decreases) in a linear fashion over time.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtooth_wave

The ramp waveform is used for, IIRC, controlling sweeps in another instrument (e.g. an interferometer).

You really lucked out, for sure. I hope you can make good use of your treasures.

-Chas
Old 6th March 2009, 10:46 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

is there any tube in that pile o' drek ?
Old 7th March 2009, 03:48 AM   #9
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
First question: what is a ramp generator and what is the use? I think I heard the "Ramp" word before, but cant really connect it to something usefull! Sorry 'bout the beer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

is there any tube in that pile o' drek ?
Don't see any tubes - but get a load of the two big-asss spools of magnet wire!!! 1st photo - top left corner.
Old 7th March 2009, 11:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for useful info You guys are a treasure. I guess that it was an extremely lucky catch, indeed.
There is some tubes also, I have no idea if any of them are good for audio. The big ones are EL 36 and PL 508. The small and new ones in boxes are EF91, ECH81, EAA91, EC97, PC97, UCC85, PCC85. There might be some other types in the pile of loose tubes. I will try and make a list. Any chance that some of them are worth using? Could be fun building something with them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg toobs.jpg (97.0 KB, 144 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!