Power Cords

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not a huge believer in high priced power cords making any noticable difference in a system. That being said, I've just finished my speaker project and am in the process of tweaking and accessorizing (brass footers, cardas caps on the analog inputs, etc) the system. One thing that annoys me is the stock power cords on my amps and digital crossover are way too long and making a mess in the back of my rack. Does anyone have some suggestions for good quality, reasonably priced (and shorter ie 1m) power cords?

Power cords

...suggestions for good quality, reasonably priced (and shorter ie 1m) power cords?

I'm a power cord skeptic as well. I've tried several, and found no great correlation between price and "sound quality".

My favorite choice is the Volex 17604 with the stock plugs cut off (leaving the remainder of cord to desired length)and replaced with Marinco(5266) plugs. If you cut the 17604 in half, adding some nice 320 IEC connectors, you could make two 1M cords. There is also a longer version, the 17605, from which you could make more/longer cords.

This is a very nice, well-shielded cord and cheap to make. To me they sound just as good as some $100+ cords I've tried.

...am in the process of tweaking and accessorizing...

You may wish to check out the thread on cheap test gear, and the posted results of using said gear:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138832

...cardas caps on the analog inputs...

I find that some input jacks "like" to have shorting plugs. I also put Cardas caps over any unused video or digital outputs present.

Good luck!

-Chas

If you want cheap I bought some of these for replacements on various things....wire is wire. MCM had a flier and 3' or 6' computer power cord was 1.89, but I don't see it on the site there was a code on the flier. I cut the PC plug off and installed them into the equipment. 18ga. But computer cords are very common/mass produced...a good candidate for higher quality/low price.

...negative comments regarding the Volex cables now being manufactured in China

As far as I can tell, most of the inexpensive AC cords I have tried, including the Volex (and many other OEM cables used by manufacturers such as Parasound), are made in China and have been for years . Pretty much everything nowadays is coming from there. IMHO the country of origin is less important than the design of the cable (the quality of their plugs is moot, since we replace them with HQ). The Volex 17604/5 design (unless it has changed) is based upon the Belden 19364 cable, which is a very sound design, chosen by the late Bob Crump (we miss him).
http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

....wire is wire...18ga...a good candidate for higher quality/low price.

At the risk of starting another flame war :hot:, I've got to tell you:

Don't be misled!
Use only 14guage(& larger) shielded AC cables for your power amplifiers, or you're limiting your gear. I know this because I've actually measured (and heard) the difference compared to a generic 18g PC cord: Better current delivery and lower noise.

Please try it for yourself and see (listen). Then re-post here with your findings.

-Chas

clm811 said:

At the risk of starting another flame war :hot:, I've got to tell you:

Don't be misled!
Use only 14guage(& larger) shielded AC cables for your power amplifiers, or you're limiting your gear. I know this because I've actually measured (and heard) the difference compared to a generic 18g PC cord: Better current delivery and lower noise.

Please try it for yourself and see (listen). Then re-post here with your findings.

-Chas
If your equipment uses enough current then sure put large enough gauge on it. Equipment should not have issue with AC current since it is inside the case of each anyway, but if you just want nice cord then use nice cord. I would think getting rid of excess cord and keeping them away from RCA/etc inputs would be a good idea however you do it.

IMO I prefer the premade cords rather than adding a plug, unless it is something in the garage/etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.