Computer installed in CD player case, need opinions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently undertaken the task of installing a computer in a CD player case, the motherboard doesn't have inbuilt sound or graphics, but I am looking tio swap it for one that does.

It;ll play both MP3s and CDs and I was wondering if you think its a good idea.. :) I want to build a small amp into it too, and possible include a TV tuner card.. :) what do you think? :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do those pictures all show up alright.. :) lol

Taco said:
Nice job, I don't see card's inserted in the mobo, is everything on board? It's difficult to find small soundcards / videocards.

There is no graphics card or sound card, I need to get a motherboard with these inbuilt... This thing isn't actually working yet.. :) lol

audioPT said:
Oh my!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is that a TECHNICS????

I have one like that.. and is working.

BTW, I have change the front panel to apear like the Mark Levinson 390S.

Yes, where are the VGA and sound card?
You can use those to insert in small desktops.

Regards.

Pedro Martins

The CD player was a Realistic.. :)
It was sortof working before I began, but the lazer was on its way out.. :)

Hope to exchange the motherboard.. lol :):)

jean-paul said:
Where do you place a power supply ? Maybe one of those 80 or 120 W mini SMPS will fit ??

I am planning on using a DC-DC powersupply with an external transformer, this way it can also be run in the car ETC.. :) The powersupply is already mounted in it... Its the thing between the motherboard and the front of the case, sortov next to the CDrom drive.. :)

heh

made one last year works great networked it with my server so i can download movies and mp3's. i used a industrial single board computer. it has onboard lan gps support for larg drives and small laptop drives.the board only runs on 12volt and 5 volt.so finding a small psu was easy took one out of a dead printer.put it all in a box the size of a ps2 playstation. a year later took it apart needed the part's. still got the back plate. it was about this size

pic

you will enjoy it when it finished;)

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 355
with your setup

when i installed a cd rom it worked good. i found using a pull out
drive in place of the cd rom had better storage get two one for your home pc and one for the player.you can just change harddrives instead of a network. i got mine used supper cheap
like $20 each hmm $40 thats just about what the old lady leaves me with:bawling:

for mp3's i used a dos player and just sysed the drive so it was like a bootable floppy. i would type in mp3 player.exe and i would get a list. even picks up your sound card ill get a link so you can play around with it;)

http://mpxplay.cjb.net/

i used this enjoy:)

Re: with your setup

karma said:
ya somthing i dont have. if it's not the wife it's the kid with there hand out. thay here the word payday thay jump me lol:clown:
:headbash:

lol, I don't have a wife or kids... or n income.. :) lol

karma said:
when i installed a cd rom it worked good. i found using a pull out
drive in place of the cd rom had better storage get two one for your home pc and one for the player.you can just change harddrives instead of a network. i got mine used supper cheap
like $20 each hmm $40 thats just about what the old lady leaves me with:bawling:

for mp3's i used a dos player and just sysed the drive so it was like a bootable floppy. i would type in mp3 player.exe and i would get a list. even picks up your sound card ill get a link so you can play around with it;)

http://mpxplay.cjb.net/

i used this enjoy:)

I think network is what I'll go for.... I can't use one of those HD caddies, the case is too small, and the powersupply won't be able to power an extra HD as well as the first one and the CDrom.. :)

Yeah, I've used MPxplay before... LOT!! :) first on a 100mHz 486.. then a P75, which had a character LCD screen and was in that wooden box that a later put the P200MMX it.. :) good program... has support for almost everything.. :D

Okay... I ahve more pictures... I got another motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics, but its bigger than the old one.. still fits in the case, but I have to rethink the powersupply... Some pictures? why not... I am now planning on building an amplifer into the case.. :) so far I have mounted the transformer for the amplifeir and some "shielding" I have made and run the IDE cables.... umm.. mounted most of the sockets (still have to do audio)... and.. well.. thats pretty much it.. lol :)

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 158
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.