Do you think there is such a thing as "National taste"in sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you think that taste in sound varies from country to country?Is there anything like a National taste in sound?I was reading an old review of the Alphason Sonata turntable some time ago,and I was surprised when I read that the Alphason was according to the reviewer a better turntable compared to the Linn,but the Linn was prefered because of the..."British National taste....."!!!!!
Any interest or comments?

Hi,
we here in the UK have a completely different preference in sound from much of Europe.
The Far East had to modify much of their product to make it saleable/sellable (able to be sold in the numbers they needed for a mass market) in the UK.
They even starting advertising this fact by branding models with a B and the copy stated it was upgraded for the British market.

Why our ears/brain are different? I have no idea.

I own a Denon PMA-255UK integrated amp... the UK suffix on the end of the model number was apparently to denote it was tuned to "UK preferences"... and that apparently means everyone in the UK likes a warmer sheen to their music!!!

Generalisations are never good thing, I for one do not particularly want everything I listen to sound waaaaaaarm, I'm more a stickler for the "give me it as it is on the disc". A wire with gain anyone? Well that will never literally happen but the less components in my hi-fi that shape the sound and the more that just present it to me, the better!

hello.
tomatisse was a french ear doctor.he thought that languages have their own characteristic frequencies..........we store them before we were born and later on.............
different sounds of languages - and different taste of music?
greetings...............

I recall that an argument has been made that the BBC research people are responsible for the "national" characteristic of British sound. I think the idea is that either through luck or good management the reverberation time of their (the BBC) "typical" listening room was producing a particular balance to their loudspeakers that was appreciated by many people as 'natural' and their products were seen as something of a bench mark standard that influenced the larger commercial manufacturers....

(The views expressed here are not necessarily those of the poster!)
Jonathan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.