Will it blow up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the UK, and I got a Sony HST-D3 (XO-D3) hifi with Sony SS-A3 speakers from an car boot sale for £3 (yes... three great british pounds) and it worked!
Is this model European though? It works fine in England (240v AC), but it came without a plug and has a 2 pin European-style outlet on the rear of the unit (I would imagine it is switched by the main power button)... I'm not familiar with such things so I wouldn't know...

Anyway on the question I was going to write...

I am interested in sound > light projects and I decided to do a test...
I connected a 12v bulb :bulb: from a string of christmas fairy lights to the output on the stereo above... When the the volume was high it lit up and fluctuated with the sound... fair enough by me, that was what I was hoping for but is it stable?

The output is around 13/14v AC at top volume ("10" I think) and the impedence should be between about 4 Ohms and 12 Ohms so surely this bulb would kill the amp? Think how much power those bulbs are sucking from the poor thing! The little test worked for as long as I tried it (I think it coped for about an hour powering the bulb with no problems). I then connected a bulb to the remaining stereo channel and I still worked... on both channels (although that's kind of useless... where do the speakers go?!).

Then I put 2 bulbs on the left channel... slightly dimmer, but still fine.

:bulb:
.|____________________ Right channel from Amp

Does this mean I can safely and stabley operate it like this? I am guessing not, but please feel free to correct me.
I need information and possibly a manual for this hifi aswell so if anyone knows any good sites...

Cheers guys... ClD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.