Need help identifying an old Zenith system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2009, 02:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BLoudermilk
Question Need help identifying an old Zenith system

This seems to be an extremely knowledgeable forum, so I've decided to inquire about an old Zenith stereo I acquired a couple years back. The model number of the AMP/Tuner/Record player/Cassette deck/8-track unit is "IS 4180". It seems like a pretty high end model judging by the quality of the tone arm and all the features it has. Then again, everything was made with more quality back then. I'm not sure exactly when it was made, as it doesn't specify on the back.

The speakers are a pair of Zenith "Allegro 300"s which also seem to be high-end. I hate to judge a book by its cover, but in this case it's about the best I can do.

Any information you might have about them, or the series would be awesome! I've actually been looking for a couple studio Monitors & an AMP to build, but if these have acceptable specs I might just clean 'em up and use them instead.

Cheers,
Brendan
Old 9th February 2009, 05:13 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Can you do a picture?

The electronics i'm not too familiar with but i have had lots of Allegro 3000 thru here... 1st Q, are they marked 16 ohm? Does the back come off?

The 3000 has a 10" -- depending on the vintage, it is 1 of at least a half-dozen OEM units. The tweeter is a plastic bodied Foster alnico horn. Really quite decent, and unlike many horns about the right efficiency to natch with something like an FE127 as a super-tweeter.

The boxes are poorly done... the drivers deserve better. If the back comes off, remove it and listen like that for awhile

dave
Old 9th February 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I can't find any marking that indicates the resistance of the speakers. The Amp does say not to attach any speakers below 8 ohm. Unfortunately the back of the speakers aren't removable without the aid of a saw. I'd love to build a new cabinet for them. I'm sure they could use some cleaning and maybe some new electronics too. Do you have any recommendations for cabinet specs that would match nicely? Would you upgrade the crossovers?

Here are a couple pics:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th February 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yours are the much never Allegro 3000... the woofer almost looks like it is an 8". If you are lucky it is one of the Japanese OEMs. The tweeter is still a Foster, but a newer ceramic magnet job. The mid is "who cares"

As they progressed the cabinets got worse. Ive used saws, pliers, a hammer & screwdriver to remove the back. The cabinet is only worth tossing.

It also looks like you have a nice chunk of wool felt in each one.

The electronics have nice looking knobs... and an 8-track. The only reason for preserving it might be to play 8-tracks.

The (BSR?) TT might be useful for a record cleaner.

dave
Old 10th February 2009, 01:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
It also looks like you have a nice chunk of wool felt in each one.
Of all the Allegro's I've gutted, it's been carpet (or cat) foam each time

Cheers!
Old 12th February 2009, 08:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ah, oh well. I thought maybe I'd score some quality vintage drivers. The tweeter seems slightly promising. I'll have to gut it and see what other goodies I find. Thanks for your help, Dave.

-Brendan

Hide this!Advertise here!