DIY preamp-to-amp "jumper" interconnect - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
MesaM is offline MesaM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY preamp-to-amp "jumper" interconnect

After having installed set of Speltz Anti-Cable biwire speaker cables for my Magnepans (bought the 12-gauge wire bulk from Speltz @ $1.25 per foot and using in twisted format with no termination), then a stock 1/2-meter set of Anti-IC interconnects for between CD player & preamp, I enjoyed the combined sonic improvements enough where I decided to construct my own pair of similarly designed interconnects between preamp & amp (both tube).

I chose to use a heavier gauge than the rather thin wire that the standard Anti-ICs are made from, in order to create more of a "buss" than a "cable" to connect the two components. Since my amp sits on top of the preamp, a 16" pair would be more than enough length, so after a bit of calculation I ordered 10' of the 12g speaker wire from Speltz and (4) Neutrik RCA connectors (the same type Speltz uses) from Parts Express for $1.75 each. I spiraled the cable around a 3/8" dowel rod, and used a single run of wire through the middle to complete each cable (see photos; note the gauge difference between installed stock & DIY interconnect sets).

First things first, I placed the stock Speltz Anti-ICs between preamp & amp for an extended listen, then substituted my newly-concocted heavy-gauge pair, and immediately noted an improvement in bass depth and impact, along with increased dynamics throughout the range and a larger and more open sound stage. These attributes only improved with further break-in of the wire.

I would not have posted this if the difference were only subtle. In fact, I'm not a fan of claims that wires of any kind (especially ungodly expensive ones) will "totally transform" a system. But, for the materials cost of $20 needed to make these surprisingly musical interconnects, I urge any curious DIY'er to give it a shot - I think you'll like'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anti-c_merge.jpg (85.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 7th February 2009, 04:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.
What amp and pre-amp do you have?
Old 7th February 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
MesaM is offline MesaM  United States
diyAudio Member

Tube Audio Design model 150 Signature preamp and model 60 Signature stereo amp (currently using KT66 output tubes).

Hide this!Advertise here!