Dead PSU.. help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a non-standard PC PSU in my HTPC which now refuses to boot the pc. It delivers enough power to spin some of the fans and light the LEDs on the motherboard, but thats it.

It makes a faint, high-pitched whining noise when turned on.

Any ideas of what to check/measure and what to change?

Its odd-factor so a new one costs $$$$ :(

Thank you

Today's standard desktop PC PSU produces the following DC outputs: +5V, +3.3V, +12V1, +12V2, -12V and standby 5V.

Your first task is to check for these outputs. Checked the fuses, if any?

The chances of fixing this by remote diagnosis are small, but take a few good quality digital pictures and post them. By good quality I mean sharp, no camera shake, well lit (not flash) and detailed enough to read the markings on the components.

Manufacturers name, serial number?

w

Went to my sommerhouse instead :)

But I fiddled with it tonight and it makes a insanely high pitched and high SPL sound which almost gives you tinnitus.

Any ideas about which failing components can make that noise?

Also I measured the voltages and everything seems fine except a blue wire which gives -10,80. I suspect this to be the -12v rail, but is 10,80 too low?

Pictures are comming when the little sucker has de-powered its caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.