My dump is better than your tip - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My dump is better than your tip

As expected, the switch-over to digital is having a salutory effect upon the Town Dump -- I managed to snag this remains of a Plate Amp before the overseer saw me. I am starting this thread so that we can all compare notes on the best places to find electronic discards.

I am going to suspect that Wellesley MA might be better.
Couldn't find the transformer for this -- maybe another DIY'r was in there before me:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th April 2009, 02:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Went down to the town dump to recycle some cardboard boxes and wine bottles -- picked up a Pioneer receiver.

Some go to deposit, others to withdraw.
Old 7th April 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks like a plate amp from a Logitech Z-560. Not bad, apart from the heatsink, you can salvage a couple of 10,000uF caps from it and some TDA7293 chips if it's still good. The transformer in this unit was externally mounted to the inside of the subwoofer enclosure. It was a 48VCT toroid transformer of maybe 200VA.

The scrap pile where I work (and the dumpster outside the building) is a good place for salvaging parts. Scratch and dent rackmount chassis and stuff like that is often found. I picked up a couple real nice extruded aluminum chassis the other day, great small project boxes.
Old 9th April 2009, 08:08 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I only saw a VCR and microwave in the recycling dumpster today, but a few weeks ago there was a Sony CD changer sitting on top of it. It seems to work, and it has unpopulated locations on the PC board for a Toslink S/PDIF output. Toslink transmitters seem to turn up when I go for bike rides... twice I've come across broken DVD players dumped in the woods.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:57 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Here, it's just discards from meth labs.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Here, it's just discards from meth labs.
That may be why it's called Butt Montana.
Old 9th April 2009, 08:49 PM   #7
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

No, around here it's mostly just grow ops. Broken plastic tubing, 5 gallon buckets, occasionally garbage bags of roots and stems.

The same dump where I picked up the DVD player also had a circuit board out of a Teac portastudio (left that), a complete but jammed 8mm camcorder (took that), and a couple of cartons of records (too wet) among the misc. household debris. Oh, and a 15 year old Hewitt-Rand laptop - took that too, mostly to see if there was anything cool on the hard drive, if it was readable. And possibly hook the display to a single-board-computer that has a flatpanel interface. The camcorder, I'd like to see if the CCD camera can be extracted and used standalone. (Like for monitoring a wren's nest in the glove box of one of my "project" trucks.)

Hide this!Advertise here!