My dump is better than your tip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As expected, the switch-over to digital is having a salutory effect upon the Town Dump -- I managed to snag this remains of a Plate Amp before the overseer saw me. I am starting this thread so that we can all compare notes on the best places to find electronic discards.

I am going to suspect that Wellesley MA might be better.
Couldn't find the transformer for this -- maybe another DIY'r was in there before me:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like a plate amp from a Logitech Z-560. Not bad, apart from the heatsink, you can salvage a couple of 10,000uF caps from it and some TDA7293 chips if it's still good. The transformer in this unit was externally mounted to the inside of the subwoofer enclosure. It was a 48VCT toroid transformer of maybe 200VA.

The scrap pile where I work (and the dumpster outside the building) is a good place for salvaging parts. Scratch and dent rackmount chassis and stuff like that is often found. I picked up a couple real nice extruded aluminum chassis the other day, great small project boxes.

I only saw a VCR and microwave in the recycling dumpster today, but a few weeks ago there was a Sony CD changer sitting on top of it. It seems to work, and it has unpopulated locations on the PC board for a Toslink S/PDIF output. Toslink transmitters seem to turn up when I go for bike rides... twice I've come across broken DVD players dumped in the woods.

No, around here it's mostly just grow ops. Broken plastic tubing, 5 gallon buckets, occasionally garbage bags of roots and stems.

The same dump where I picked up the DVD player also had a circuit board out of a Teac portastudio (left that), a complete but jammed 8mm camcorder (took that), and a couple of cartons of records (too wet) among the misc. household debris. Oh, and a 15 year old Hewitt-Rand laptop - took that too, mostly to see if there was anything cool on the hard drive, if it was readable. And possibly hook the display to a single-board-computer that has a flatpanel interface. The camcorder, I'd like to see if the CCD camera can be extracted and used standalone. (Like for monitoring a wren's nest in the glove box of one of my "project" trucks.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.