Retouching scratched hifi fascia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any suggestions as to what I would be best using to retouch my new from ebay CD-63SE which I got today?

Parts of the fascia are badly scratched right down to the metal (assuming it's aluminium on the front face plate?) and other scratches on the top and sides of the case. I knew about this before I bought it by the way...

I'm not someone who is overly fussed with how my hi-fi looks but I'd like to 'fix' the scratches so most people don't notice them.

I'm guessing it's something like enamel paint is my best bet (please correct me if I'm wrong!) like this Black Enamel Paint On Ebay

Thanks for any input on this strange question (I guess nothing is weird on diyaudio lol)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
First, I have only seen pictures of your model.

Is the front plate anodized? If so that can be a problem.

Are there scratches in the wood? Sometimes you need to sand and refinish, sometimes a little iodine tincture works wonders.

The metal casing should be no problem. It is probably steel and will accept any number of paints and coatings.

Can you post some pics?

Thanks for the reply Carl,
Here are some of the photos of the unit I bought to give you an idea where the scratches and dinks are and how bad they are...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There's no wood in the unit... but a few of the scratches on edges (particularly the one on the bottom left hand corner, not really visible in the photo) are quite sharp and was wondering the best way to sand them down? Something like a small metal file perhaps?

Thanks for your help on what is probably a slightly trivial matter when it comes to audio lol

Humbrol (of the UK) make a huge range of paints in every imaginable colour for models. By blending them you can get a perfect match for any finish. But you really need to find a dealer (model or art shop) that has them on display, so you can SEE the colours for matching.

Multiple coats can be used to fill up deep gouges.

Nicks may best be trimmed and flattened with a surgeons scalpel; sanding may make the mark bigger.

Minor nicks on black aluminium can be hidden quickly and easily with a black overhead-projector pen

Thanks alot for the replies.

Humbrol enamel paint is what I was assuming to go for from my ebay searches, and I can check out a few shops that stock them (Humbrol have been good enough to put a stockist search by post code and there's a few in Glasgow and Edinburgh).

It's mainly for the very deep gouges. I already touched all the dinks and scratches up with a permanent black marker (a trick I've always used to blend in very slight scratches on my own units), but unfortunately permanent marker on metal isn't as permanent as it should be, it just comes off on my hands anytime I handle the unit so it would be nice to have a more permanent fix.

I'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow to pick up a Rotel RC-8850 pre-amp and RB-870BX power-amp that I won on eBay and aren't looking in the best nick (well, they are what 20 years old...?!) and so will try and pick up a small pot or two of Humbrol black enamel paint from a shop that's up that way... Will probably be good value as I will then have 3 units to fix up! lol

I’m about 10 years late, but for posterity’s sake, Birchwood-Casey makes a product they call “Aluminum Black,” I tended for blackening the scratches in black anodising on guns. I’ve used it with good results. It’s about the best thing I’ve found, short of stripping and reanodising.

Degrease first, then apply it carefully, e.g. with a fine brush when filling fine scratches, because any overlap onto the intact black anodising will discolor that area. The stuff works.

BW Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up 3 oz Amazon.com : BW Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up 3 oz : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.