Burning WAV files to DVD -Freeware?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve used Audacity to create some .wav files from some old cassette tapes I found; Now I want to burn them to a DVD that my Sony DVD player will play.

I’ve used Imgburn to make a DVD, & can access the files on my computer, but my DVD player tells me ‘No Audio Data’. (I have made playable mp3 DVDs with Imgburn).

Having searched the net for more info, I am now totally confused…
:bawling: (Most tutorials have too much assumed knowledge, or relate to mp3s or video)

Can anyone point me to some freeware that will make playable DVDs from .wav files, and outline the steps to follow?

Thanks,
Pete McK

I think you need to make your 'music' DVD as a data disc. The wav files will be recorded as separate files. Your player should be able to read them as wav files if it can read that format.
I've made 'data' DVD discs with wav files. I used Nero that came along with the LG DVD writer that I have.

Correction !:whazzat:

My DVD with wav files plays only in my DVD writer.
On my Panasonic DVD player it doesn't play as I think it doesn't playback wav files.
My car CD system doesn't play DVD but plays only CD's and can play back files from a USB drive. The drive says it can play wav files.

It does play wav files from a USB pen drive . No problems. However wav files copied on to a CD will not play. I think this is because it doesn't expect wav files on a CD and so will not recognise the information. Maybe a DVD drive that can read wav should do this.

You need a program that will burn the files as an audio disk, not a data disk with .wav files.

There are plenty of programs out there that do this, though I have no clue where to find a freeware version. Try one of the popular brands like Roxio, Nero, Alcohol, etc. and see if they have a working trial version.

Confusingly, there are such things as "DVD Audio" and "Audio DVD" discs. I forget which is which, but one is only be playable by particular players that license that format, while the other should work on any DVD player. I made one of the former as an experiment, and was surprised to find that a cheap DVD player recognized and played it (Norcent DP-300, the later/final version).

Do some searching on "DVD audio" and "audio dvd" authoring, and some options should come up. There's at least one freeware/opensource authoring tool. The kind that plays on any DVD player is basically a normal DVD but with still or blank video. DVD authoring programs that can create slideshows may be suitable.

I was looking into this a while ago, and this is what I turned up:

"DVD-A" is an audio-only disk, playable only on special players (unless you're lucky enough to have one that plays it 'by accident'!). Making these takes some expensive software (as far as I can tell).

"DVD-V" is the regular DVD disk you can play on any DVD player to see a movie. But it could have only a single still-frame picture and the rest be filled with audio (of higher rate and resolution than CD). Apparently these are easier to make. There are some highres wav files you can download and burn for these at http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

What is missing from this thread is what the original poster is really trying to achieve.

You mentioned that you can burn and play mp3's. So, when you say you want to burn wav's, is what you really want to burn the music in a lossless format, or to avoid data conversion? If it's the latter, you are hooped.

Thanks for all the input guys...
leadbelly, I was just hoping not to loose any quality (even though the source isn't that good)...
I'll probably go with mp3s - it's easy and I'm OK with listening to that format.

(& I'm too lazy to search for set up & learn to use yet another piece of software... I'd rather be listening)

Cheers,
Pete McK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.