SoundMax Uninstalls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a 2-yr old ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with AMD64.

SoundMax Driver just up and uninstalls itself. This is a chipset on the mobo, not an add-on. Worked fine, but now a restart or two...or three is needed to bring it back. Sometimes, removing and reinstalling does not work. Just the restart.

BIOS allows onboard sound, so it should not be kicking it out. Coincidentally...the 512MB RAM I have went from a 30sec start up to 4-5X that at the same time.

Mobo going...sound issue causing slow startup? Any help would be appreciated!

Should also add I have flashed the BIOS and checked for updates on drivers. Not done a system restore yet. Hoping to avoid a re-build.

Hi,

Win98 or XP?

Got a virus?

Fresh installs of the OS and drivers usually clear that up ;)
(it may be bogged down by a tonne of junk from installing/uninstalling other software and the registry get so gummed up that unless you're a regwizard.....)

If you don't have the mobo driver disks, try Start > Run > msconfig and look at the startup programs asnd see if the system is trying to start a zillion things on boot that may be conflicting.

Cheers!

Sorry...

XP. Had previously tried msconfig but stopped before too long without enough time to sort out what I needed and did not need registry-wise.

I am backing up pics taken during Christmas and New Year's. Can't lose those: a 2-year-old at Christmas and a New Year's Anniversary. Then I'll be tinkering more...and probably installing OS...perhaps reformat at the same time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.