The Man-Cave got flooded!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default The Man-Cave got flooded!!!

Bummer!!! A water line burst over my man-cave and everything got soaked! I hope my amps and receivers will be OK once they dry-out. I'm not sure about some drivers I had though. They were face-up and held water like a cup. I had 2 woofers out of a set of old Bose 501's and some RS 40-1354's. Any advice on what happens when a speaker gets wet??? How about insurance claims on vintage stuff??? Fortunately my Pioneer SX-1010 and my JBL L40's are upstairs so they're safe and sound.
Any suggestions are more than welcomed!
Mike
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Where has all the water gone??

Hello Mike!

Some of the news is good. If you have let the electronics dried out thoroughly you should be OK. If in doubt put them in an oven at the lowest setting. Leave the door open a good 2 inches and watch them carefully. So that none of the plastic gets to hot. Put them at the highest rack setting you can to keep them away from the direct heat. Or work them over with a hair drier if you don't like watching things bake. The drivers should be ok if the same precautions are taken. This advice is all given on the idea that they got wet you rescued them ASAP and they are drying. If they were wet for a week or so, all bets are off!

Mark
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:25 AM   #3
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any advice on what happens when a speaker gets wet???
Unfortunately the last paper woofers I measured ( that showed visible signs of water damage - ie stains ) had T/S parameters dramatically changed from their original value.

Syd
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Well, I did get to everything fairly quickly. The speakers' spiders didn't seem wet, so I'm hoping for the best. Everything is now in front of fans. The carpet and padding are in the trash and the room is drying quite well. After I talk to the insurance company, the sheetrock in the ceiling and walls and all the insulation will come out (I already pulled all the soaked insulation and sheet rock. I had to so I could get to the burst pipe to repair it and turn the water back on to the rest of the house.)
On my way to get the parts to repair the water line, I got a flat tire. Welcome to 2009.

When I re-do the man cave, I want to better insulate (sonically) it from the room above it. Any suggestions???
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:25 AM   #5
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want to better insulate (sonically) it from the room above it. Any suggestions???
The Master Handbook Of Acoustics ( F. Alton Everest ) has several chapters on Absorption of Sound and soundproofing with great detail.
If you have a high ceiling, install a drop ceiling to trap an air space between the ceiling and above floor.

Syd
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikje
On my way to get the parts to repair the water line, I got a flat tire. Welcome to 2009.
Looks like we are both off to a grand start this year. At around 4pm on New Year's Eve some idiot lost control of his SUV and destroyed my car parked in front of my house.

Happy New Year!!!

http://i44.tinypic.com/w7j4no.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2r5wc1y.jpg
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:32 AM   #7
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The Man-Cave got flooded!!!

Quote:

Bummer!!! A water line burst over my man-cave and everything got soaked!
Any suggestions are more than welcomed!
Mike
I had a pinhole leak in one of my pipes but was home at the time and caught it quickly - so little damage done. Then the plumber came and said the pipes (25 year old galvanized iron piping) were rusted out. That repair was $400 to get things working. Repiping the house with copper pipe cost me $8K. $5K plumbing and $3K sheetrock plus putting in a new shower as long as I had everything torn up.

If you have old piping you should consider doing a repipe before the water leak demon comes back for another visit.

The hair dryer trick works well to dry out the inside of the gear. You might need some contact cleaner to flush out the pot's tho.
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: The Man-Cave got flooded!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by c2cthomas

If you have old piping you should consider doing a repipe before the water leak demon comes back for another visit.

My house is only 7 years old, so I have all copper plumbing.

Today the rest of the damaged sheetrock and all the insulation comes out. I can do sheetrock and the taping and mudding myself, so at least my only expense will be materials. When I finished the room originally, it was my son's bedroom. He didn't want a drop ceiling, so it was a sheetrock ceiling. It will now be a drop ceiling with acoustic tiles. My wife feels bad about my equipment and my man cave getting trashed, so we're in total agreement about me doing it all my way...pretty cool! It's going to have the right kind of ceiling and a wood floor (wood laminate) and the right wall coverings and rugs. It's not large, about 13' X 13', but it will still work well. I'm actually looking forward to the project and a better audio room than what I've had!
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:04 PM   #9
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: The Man-Cave got flooded!!!

Quote:

My wife feels bad about my equipment and my man cave getting trashed, so we're in total agreement about me doing it all my way...pretty cool! It's going to have the right kind of ceiling and a wood floor (wood laminate) and the right wall coverings and rugs. It's not large, about 13' X 13', but it will still work well. I'm actually looking forward to the project and a better audio room than what I've had!
Sweet!!!!
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This story sounds sort of like the Phoenix rising from the ashes. Altough I doubt there are any ashes here. Bummer about the damage to the equipment, but it does sound like you may come out the better in the long run.

Peace,

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!