question about statics and anti statics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have some (maybe stupid) questions regarding anti statics, I own a TD320, wich comes with an adapter for the power, on the signal cables u got the little extra wire that you connect to the amps housing. The amp itself is connected to the mains but also without being connected to the mains earth. Just a regular 2 pin connector.
Is this intended to be like that, i mean electrically spoken its sufficient, but what would happen if I earth the amps housing, and the turntable, regarding static charges. I know if u work in an electronics lab u get wired in one or other way (armbelt, special shoes n floors , ...) but in the end ya hooked through a megaohm resistor to the mains earth. I know the meg is more there for safety reasons in case u touch the mains, but for my equipment, would it actually increase or decrease static charges? And the record itself originally on a rubber mat on the metal platter, not conducting in any way. Why is that not coated for instance with a conducting layer? again in a static point of view. I am not 100 procent sure what the extra shielding wire is connected to in the turntable, i gotta open it again to check, but i assume the GND of the power supply is completely insulated from the shielding, but then again shielded MDF? One last thing, if u have a record that is charged, how do you discharge it properly?

Thanks for moving me to the propre location, was a bit blonde of me indeed to go to off topic perhaps. Anyway I thought it was interesting to measure a bit on my carbon record brush. The 2 rows of fibres are connected to each other as are all fibres, according to the website where i ordered it that is done with a copper adhesive tape on the inside. But the metal frame you hold is in no way attached to the fibres. So I took a little piece of copper adhesive tape and connected a few fibres with the handle, I was thinking of soldering a little wire to that and attach it to the same point where the turntables shielding meets the amps shielding. I guess if everything is at the same potential there is no room for statics, without resistance u can't get charged. So if i bring whatever I can in the area to the same potential, it can't be a bad thing can it? I m just not sure if its better to actually hook it all to the mains earth (wich is local for my house here in Belgium, not provided by the powercompany like in some other places) and if so through a series resistor or not.
Using that line of thought I ll have to find an excuse to get my boss to buy various types of conducting sprays to play around with ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.