volume limiter please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys, i have been busy on Rod Elliott's project 67 - a fast audio peak limiter. it can be found here:

http://sound.westhost.com/project67.htm

i have wired it up on a breadboard - hooked up the headphone output from my computer speakers to the input, and hooked up my headphones to the output. i have cranked everything to full volume and it doesn't do any limiting at all.

i think the problem is the FET - 'cos i have double checked everything. the problem with the FET is i cannot find a datasheet for it. it is an F2458PH75. i have tried connecting it up with all the possible pin configuration and the only time anything happens the volume is soft.......all the time

haha i tried to get the right JFET - no stock. tried to get an equivalent JFET - no stock. so i just got these thinkin i would b able to find the datasheet.

as for the rest of the parts they are the same as on Rod's site. C5 is tantalum.

as for the circuit - is the JFET the part that does the attenuating??

yep, the JFET is the attenuating part.... you could ask Rod Elliot for equivalent JFET suggestions, but start my trying out the 2n5458 or... or 2n3819, maybe even j310 .. the are all very diffenrent parts, but they share the same property that they are N-channel, and thefeore need a negative bias volatge..

grt, T

ok so the difference between FET and BJT is that BJT needs some current on the base while a FET does not??

but there must be some kind of gain or something right? i mean - i can't just slap any 'ol FET in the circuit and expect it to work....... can I?

BTW sorry for the noob questions, my electronics course covered BJT's not FETs.

There are several types of FET and they work in different ways. Too much to cover here. Try and get down to a library and dig out. The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill.

However for this project you need a J-FET. 2N3819 is very popular so have a look for one of those, just keep the supply limited to 12V rails though as this part is only rated to 25V.

thanks guys.

so thats the problem with my circuit, the rest should be fine (im sure it is 'cos its not exactly a complex circuit)

one more question, is it possible i blew the FET i have?? 'cos afta not finding the datasheet i just tried connecting the legs in any order to the circuit.

ok well then i probably did blow it. i got one left - but without the datasheet i will prob blow it too. oh well.......

thanks for the help guys ;)

PS i got one more question, how can i change the level that the limiter kicks in. in other words, if the input is too low to activate the limiter how do i set it to work??

if i change R8, the gain of the opamp wil change, correct? (which is not really what i want). what if i change R3, that should work....

Attachments

• p67-f2.gif
    p67-f2.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.