5.1 with multiple T-amps + pre amps??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2008, 06:10 PM   #1
adamzx3 is offline adamzx3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 5.1 with multiple T-amps + pre amps???

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I was wondering if I could run the surround and center channels from my onkyo receiver via the speaker cables out to a preamp (with a high level input?) and then to a T-amp like a modded sonic impact or Trends Audio.

I have a Sonic coming on the way for my stereo speakers in my room but would like to hook it up to a 5.1 if possible. I will be using the Fostex FE167E speakers. for both applications.
Old 2nd December 2008, 01:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any idea's if this would work?
Old 2nd December 2008, 02:26 AM   #3
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You could do that but it will not be true 5.1 because you're only using the stereo outputs from the receiver. I'm assuming your receiver is stereo or you probably wouldn't be asking this question.
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't being too descriptive

I have a 5.1 receiver but the t-amps sound sooo much better. I'm driving efficient fostex drivers so power is no problem. I can't figure out how to get the analog sound out though, the only usable outboard connections are for the speakers.

Problem 2, is i'm not sure if the preout could handle the wattage from the Onkyo, or if it can be rigged up to accept this signal instead of the RCA.

So I drew up a diagram....Basically the first Preamp get a signal from the front L/R on the Onkyo, the preamp sends the signal to the T-amp, which powers the Front L/R Speakers. Now the Onkyo sends the RL/RR to the 2nd preamp, which goes the the 2nd T-amp etc.. The center gets powered by the 3rd preamp/t-amp which is only using on channel. The subwoofer gets powered by the rca sub out on the onkyo.

On the Diagram, magenta wires are L/R speaker wires, and the Blue represents the RCA cables.

Does this make any sense or is the outside the realm of do-ability?? I guess the big question is can you convert the preamps to accept the higher powered lines from the Onkyo?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2008, 05:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also was thinking on using two of the 4ch Amp9-Basic kits, if that makes any difference, that way I could have 7.1, but for the sake of making it easier to understand used 2ch amps in the diagram.
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm..... Do I understand you right that you want to use the speaker outs of the Onkyo to drive the T-amps?

If you think the Onkyo is bad now, just wait til you've sent it thru the T-Amps. It could be done, but it would not sound nice.

Your problem seems to be that you need to volume control 5 signals. And the Onkyo does not offer volume controlled line-level outputs. Correct? (not many HT amps do)

For the setup you want, you'll have to hack the Onkyo or get a 5 gang volume pot - and trimers. No fun.....
Old 3rd December 2008, 02:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ah nuts

I was hoping that that I could use the 24/97 DAC and use one of the stright-through settings to pass through the receiver without colorizing the signal.

So the idea is that since the Onkyo signal is sub-par to begin with, it wont sound any better with the T-amp? Also all components ingoing (DVD, PS3,Xbox,Cable, etc...) are all using a digital HDMI signal.

The Onkyo (SR606) does have a menu to increase the volume/gain for each channel including sub. Is this what you mean?

I was hoping that when the volume on the Onkyo was decreased the t-amp or preamp would then get quiter since the signal is quieter....not sure if thats how it would actually work or not. I was also hoping if that would then work I could leave them all turned up and inside a project box with a master power switch.
Old 3rd December 2008, 03:36 AM   #8
00600 is offline 00600  United States
diyAudio Member

Running the speaker outputs from the Onkyo to a line level converter, then to T-Amps won't accomplish anything, you'll still be amplifying a dirty signal. Actually it would probably degrade the sound even more.

You COULD get out the soldering iron and tap into the outputs BEFORE the amplifier stage inside the Onkyo, and run that to separate T-Amps.

Though its still a toss up, unless you know where the distortion/coloration is coming from- is it the processor stage, or the amplifier stage in the Onkyo?
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

oooh I see now.

I just wish it had pre outs :/
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

One good thing I found out, the last time I tested the speakers on the onkyo I forgot to change the crossover off/full range so they where crossed at 100hz. I lugged the receiver to my computer room to do a side by side comparison with the Sonic Impact Gen 2. both hooked up to my Mac-Pro's soundcard. The Onkyo really isn't bad at all, The sonic impact Gen 2 was a lot warmer and fuller and for home theater it shouldn't be that noticeable.

I never realized the acoustics in the family room where so bad.

Also the speakers are being broke in inside 15x18x12 cardboard boxes until the boxes are built, so that doesnt help much either.

One thing I couldn't figure out though is why I had to crank the volume 60-70% to get close to levels of the t-amp's 15 watts??? (same room) The onkyo should have 90watts min per channel / 90watts rms @8ohms ...hmmm

Also the Onkyo SR706 has RCA preouts so I supose I could swap out receivers later on if even needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!