Can anyone explain how to print my screen? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2008, 05:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can anyone explain how to print my screen?

WinXP home.
Konica Minolta 2400w magicolor laser printer
This stuff just drives me INSANE!!

What is the least frustrating screen capture/print program/software that anyone might recommend?

Thanks so much.
Old 24th November 2008, 05:54 PM   #2
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member

Hit ALT and print screen. Then open wordpad or word and paste.
Old 24th November 2008, 06:36 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I use screenprint32 which is very configurable and free for home use. You can capture the entire screen or any part of it you desire. Works with text or graphics.

Find it here: http://www.provtech.co.uk/software/screenprint32.asp

Windows only..
Old 24th November 2008, 08:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
The quickest way to print screen is...

Hit the 'Print Screen' button and run paint and edit paste the screen into the paint program.

Then you can print it out.

Old 24th November 2008, 08:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had explained all of my reasons for not using the print screen button in the post and then erased it all since it was too long winded. Pasting from the copy cue into another program just introduces another damn level of things to go wrong. I've not tried notepad or wordpad, but often there are graphics that won't xfer to these. I've tried mspaint, and then, here we go again with the screen itself not representing what spits out of the printer. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH.

In the by and by I downloaded MWSnap from Tucows and it works... after a fashion. It is considerably less, because it is so much more, than a simple plug-in to enable the print screen button to feed the printer what is on my page. You have to do what you want to with your image/desktop, and then open MWSnap and choose to open the desktop and then print from there. And it's full of bells and whistles.

I suspect that screenprint32 will be similar. Is there really not just an ultra simple plug-in utility that will enable me to print directly what is visible on my screen?

I realize there are dozens of screen sizes and many sizes of paper.
But how hard could it be to have a tiny little program that asks what your screen aspect ratio is, what your paper size is, and then a 'fit to paper' checkbox. That's it! No more! No enhancements, color changes, skew and stretch, multi this and that, text insertion, yada yada, etc, ad nauseum.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks kevinkr. I got screenprint32 set up and it works just fine. It hotbuttons the PrtSc button automatically and allows selecting/printing from the active document. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I use screenhunter 5.0 for printing screenshots. It publishes straight to file, so it is handy for doing lots of screenshots one after another. I use it for the preperation of IT mauals.

Whats nice is you can run it in the background and then press f6 when you want to capture some screen graphics. It also lets you select an area of the screen in closeup.

Best of all... Free!
Old 24th November 2008, 09:37 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebeard
Ok, thanks kevinkr. I got screenprint32 set up and it works just fine. It hotbuttons the PrtSc button automatically and allows selecting/printing from the active document. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much.
Glad you like it. I've been using it for about 4 yrs now and it's almost indispensable. It's very handy and much more capable than the default windows screen capture which isn't terrible by itself. I use the capture options extensively and like the fact that I can just capture parts of a window or the desktop as I desire. And it's free to home users, always a bonus.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

NOT free, but Snagit is a really good program, with lots of input and editing options. Thirty day free trial here.

My only connection with them is as a satisfied user.

Regards.

Aengus

Hide this!Advertise here!