How does one build a shotgun microphone? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2011, 09:43 PM   #41
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

1/4 wave for 1KHz audio would be about 8.6cm
Old 27th November 2011, 09:46 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Actually joking aside, It probably could be done. Think of a collinear antenna, not so different in theory to a column loudspeaker.
Reverse the process and make a column mic array, Hmmm thinks ...
Old 27th November 2011, 09:51 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
1/4 wave for 1KHz audio would be about 8.6cm
Agreed, speed of sound in air is much slower than speed of RF (light).
Old 27th November 2011, 09:53 PM   #44
diyAudio Moderator

Chancellor Merkel was addressing the Bundestag this week in front of what looked like line array mics. With the windscreen, it was hard to tell, but certainly not your typical mic. Anyone know?
Old 27th November 2011, 09:59 PM   #45
diyAudio Moderator

I was having a chat with the Audio Technica rep the last time he was around, and got on to the subject of the 747, (the worst conference mic in history), and he mentioned that they were doing stuff with line array mics. Wonder if that's what you saw?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 27th November 2011, 10:06 PM   #46
diyAudio Moderator

Would the Bunderstag use Audio Technica mics?
EDIT: This is it, and it's German.
http://microtechgefell.de/index.php/...ictabs_UhCqm_2
Old 27th November 2011, 10:33 PM   #47
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, that looks like a linear array. To a first approximation, waves are waves whether sound or radio. Yes I know it breaks down at the second approximation due to transverse vs longitudinal etc. Antennas, mike arrays, and analogue filters all end up using the same patterns so bright ideas from one can be translated to another.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:17 AM   #48
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure if anyone has been looking at this thread lately but I was just wondering how to make one of those tubular shotgun mics too. I recently bought a bunch of Panasonic WM61A capsules for measurement purposes. They are real nice, very flat and sensitive - all for $2 ea. So I have spares lying around and thought I should try to make one of these shotguns. If you want to see how Sennheiser does it, it all comes down to a patent by Otto Hoffman, 1969. US Pat number 3444955. The theory and how to build one is all in there. Basically the slots (or holes in this case) farthest away from capsule are large and get smaller as it gets closer to capsule in the back. In this way, a wide range of frequencies are directional.

Sennheiser Patent:
https://docs.google.com/a/google.com.../US3444955.pdf

If you compare the 1969 Sennheiser patent with the more recent one from Audio Technica in 1988. It is still basically the same thing. These designs are nice in that they use just one mic capsule and they are passive aero-acoustic 1/4-wave devices - essentially a flute in reverse.

Rather than make it out of aluminum, there is no reason why this should not work if made out of PVC piping which is cheap and very easy to drill holes in or cut slots, what have you.

AKG Patent:
Patent US4757546 - Narrow directional microphone - Google Patents

I might have a go at this. Very similar to making PVC flutes (one of my other DIY hobbies).

If you look at the Sennheiser MKH416P48 carefully (see attached picture), you will see that it looks like they are using a single width slot along the sides. Single width is probably not ideal bu manufacturing costs are much cheaper than variable width slots. From photo and specs, the mic body dia is 0.74 in and the pitch of the slots is 9 slots per 0.74 inch with a total of 77 slots. Use a hacksaw or miter box saw and cut about 12 slots per inch.
Attached Images
File Type: png shotgun-mic.png (330.7 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 18th January 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 20th January 2013, 08:52 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Nice to see this thread being active again.

I once tried to to do excactly that: building a shotgummic from PVC tube. I am not sure if you need a cardioid-mic inside the tube? Or figure-8? Or a true omni?..maybe two wm61s back-to-back-sideways for a true omni-directional.

I am still interested in the design of mic..Thanks for the patens.. !

Grtz, Thijs
Old 20th January 2013, 03:34 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

The RCA MI-10006A "Vari-Directional Microphone" had 19 tubes from 2" to 60" long, with a single omni condenser mic capsule.

Often shotgun mics use the term rifle mic

It be fun building one, but once you hae it, what do you do with it? E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riflemic0001.jpg (822.2 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by mickeymoose; 20th January 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!