browser hijack repair recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pete,

There are different browsers and several products that hijack them. If you are running Windows and using IE, hijacking is usually done thru hooks provided for add-on modules, like Google, Ebay or Yahoo bars. In the case of a malicious add-on it requires manually editing the registry and removing file(s). If you are not familiar with that, it is better to look up instructions for the specific attack you suffered.

Thanks for the response Grimberg,
this attack appears to affect all browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) and both Google & Yahoo seaches. I removed Google toolbar, have scanned with AVG & Ad-aware. Ad-aware removed 3 things from the registry, but I'm still getting the problem.
I'm OK to edit the registry manually, but don't know what I need to remove...

Grimberg, It doesn't go to one specific site, but (and not always) to sites selling a product unrelated to the search. These sites won't allow the 'back' button to work. When I had the google toolbar running, when a seach was typed in, the hijack would add a different seach of it's own.

I use HighJackThis regulary.
I recommend version 1.99.1
This is THE Original freeware version by the author
before he sold his rights to commercial Trend Micro (versions 2.xx)

1. Read this information first:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1015887&postcount=2

2. Download HiJackThis 1.99.1 from Majorgeeks
http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

3. Click to UnZip into any folder you wish.
Because hijackthis does not need to be installed.
Can be run from anywhere

4. Create a Shortcut and put at your Desktop

Thanks for all the input gents, I think I've solved the problem with a combo of Ad-Aware & Spybot. (I'm sure the kids will test my success or not :)
I notice that Ad-aware has installed something which prevents me from upgrading AVG, (I've found a work-around); they'd probably say it's due to incompatibilitie$ - if the good guys are doing this kind of thing no wonder the baddies succeed occasionally...

i have this exact problem except i can not run load install and spyware or adware programs ...my avg will not update as well .....my antivirus programs will run but before they can complete their scans the comp will freeze but when it frezes its weird because i can still move the mouse any help will be great

PeteMcK said:
incompatibilitie$ - if the good guys are doing this kind of thing no wonder the baddies succeed occasionally...

Part of what you were saying about going to different search sites sounds like it may have been a HOSTS file issue. Some malware uses the HOSTS file to stop antivirus software from updating. Take a look at your Hosts file and make sure all entries there are correct, or best replace it with the MVPS hosts file (do a search). The MVPS hosts file blocks ads and a lot of bad websites and generally speeds up browsing because you aren't always downloading ads. Also make sure you "immunize" with spybot search and destroy. I also use a program called Spywareblaster to block some exploits.

I usually run Firefox with flashblock and noscript, you have to manually allow flash and script operations - kind of a pain and hard to manage on a PC with multiple users because whitelist entries on noscript can be added by any user, but otherwise this makes browsing safer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.