perception of spaciousness in recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, the members of the MOTUNATION forum are invited to participate in a study on how humans perceive spatial attributes of recorded music. The data you provide us will help us to better understand what signal characteristics of recorded music may correlate with perceived spatial properties of music.

If you chose to participate, you will be asked to give some basic information about your background and listening experience. Then you will be asked to rate to what extent you perceive specific spatial attributes of short (7 sec) music clips. You may rate as few or as many music clips as you like.

Any adult 18 years or older may participate in this study. If you are interested in participating, or if you would like to learn more about this study, please navigate your browser to http://study.smusic.nyu.edu/~andy/NYU_Spatial_Perception_Study/.

The study is being conducted by Andy Sarroff, a graduate student in the Music Technology program in the Music and Performing Arts Professions Department of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development at New York University. If you have any questions or concerns, email andy.sarroff@nyu.edu

Thanks for listening. . . we hope that you choose to participate and that you pass this study on to others!

Hello,

In mid-November, I asked members of this forum to participate in an online human subject study concerning the perceived spaciousness of recorded music, the results of which were necessary to ongoing research and my Master's thesis at NYU. I thank everyone from this forum who may have participated. If you are interested in viewing the results of the study or the thesis in general, a .pdf version can be downloaded from

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~as582/thesis/Sarroff_Thesis_2009.pdf (approx 1 MB)

The results of the human subject studies can be found in Chapter III. If there are any questions or discussions regarding this work, I will be happy to respond to them. (It is best to email me directly—my address is pasted below.) I received a number of comments and questions regarding the study, but per requirements of the NYU Institutional Review Board, all participants were anonymized.

Also, feel free to pass this link on to any parties you think might be interested in this work.

Best,
--Andy Sarroff
andy.sarroff@nyu.edu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.