Class 'A' Integrated Cd Player..? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2008, 09:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Class 'A' Integrated Cd Player..?

Some time ago I bought an Arcam Alpha 5plus CD player from a young lad who was emigrating to work in Australia. He had previously been over there on a short term contract and had bought some bits and pieces to bring home to the UK.

The result was the usual update of Black gate and Elsan capacitors plus a NOS clock and 2 massive match-box sized, fully enclosed class 'A' op-amps. It sounded exquisite until it overheated and the left hand channel went dead.

It needs re-building sensibly maybe with a PC fan to keep it cool. I can scarcely hold a soldering iron myself and I only know what a capacitor is cause I've seen pictures. So, any UK design Guru fancy a bit of a challenge? I'll gladly cover transport and costs. You can email me if you wish to have a chat about it.

Here's hoping!
Old 11th November 2008, 10:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry, forgot to include picture.
Attached Images
File Type: gif class 'a' alpha 5+.gif (8.5 KB, 231 views)
Old 11th November 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I would probably help, but we have a bit geographical problem.

Quote:
I can scarcely hold a soldering iron myself and I only know what a capacitor is cause I've seen pictures.
Perhaps this is the time to improve this situation? There are tons of people on this forum who can help you with what to do and how.

Who did the mods to the player? Are you sure it died because it overheated?

The first thing you could do is take some detailed close up photos of the player, especially the modified output stage, and post them on here. Sometimes its better to use a hosting service like photobucket, rather than attaching them to your post. That way the can be larger, and you can put more than one per post.

Anton
Old 12th November 2008, 06:02 AM   #4
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
You could try Brent, from Doncaster, not a million miles away but it is on the other side of the Pennines!!

He is on the forum as "rowemeister" and has his own business http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/

Andy
Old 12th November 2008, 06:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Poynton: I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I did try other outfits and amateur upgraders like 'Avondale' but they were not at all helpfull "as it wasn't one of theirs"...?
Its broke! So it can't get any worse than it is now. I know it is going to cost me money, but its a 500 machine and it seems such a waste to just leave it.

AMC: He's in the Mines somewhere in Aus., sorting out PC's and testing equipment. Perhaps you could pop over and check it out. The bits and pcs came from an electronics superstore in Australia who's name begins with a 'B'. It was definately the class 'A' opamps - they were still red hot when I was cleaning everything up. Due to their size he had isolated them from the other bits on the PCB with a piece of cardboard and they were stuck to it like superglue. I got it working again, but buggered it up trying to make it all fit in sensibly - it will need new and better wiring.

Thanks Guys (and Gals?)
Old 13th November 2008, 02:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi

Cheers Andy

I don't mind having a look, like you say it can't get any worse.

Brent
Old 14th November 2008, 05:57 AM   #7
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
Hi

Cheers Andy

I don't mind having a look, like you say it can't get any worse.

Brent
No problem.

If I were home, I would ofer to have a look myself but at the moment I am off Chennai, India in force 8 gales with 10m waves.

What fun!!

Andy
Old 14th November 2008, 07:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Lol

Rather you than me

Brent

Hide this!Advertise here!