how high can you hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to have awesome hearing,as a teen. I could hear really low stuff,and really high stuff,20khz+.
TV's and monitors would drive me NUTS from the flyback/HOT squeal. I've tossed a few CRT monitors for that very reason! :mad:

I haven't tested my hearing out in a while,but I think it's still "ok".
However,I once went target shooting with a friend,and forgot to get earplugs...I don't think my ears have been the same since. :bawling: (So be careful!!)

I've never had very good luck getting clean HF signals out of an 'average' to 'good' PC sound card. :xeye:
I might have to warm up the function generator. :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I used ( when I were a lad ) to be able to hear the 19 Khz pilot tone on a Sony ST515 tuner. Sadly those days are long gone.
Think on this though, 20 to 20 Khz. That's 10 octaves.
So if you can only hear up to 5 Khz you have only lost the top couple of octaves :D

jacco vermeulen said:

Regular navy testing procedure when i turned 18 was with headphones on in a silent room (the dampened wall straightjacket variety), and a morse code key for registering the response.
Same way how i did a check-up of myself a couple of times over the last two decades.

I think the Royal Canadian Navy (so it was called when I was in) bought your used equipment :D

Maybe it's really a test to make you feel bad about your PC sound, rather than your loss of HF hearing? :bawling:

SOMEONE has a Creative Labs card :D

Cheers!

I don't know how valid most of the "how high" results are, since the level is unknown. Give it enough amplitude and you can probably hear higher. OTOH, at 54, my hearing drops off a cliff at 14.5kHz. The slope is steep and raising the amplitude doesn't change much. I've been very careful with my hearing all my life, but age takes its toll. As a teen I could hear 20kHz, but just barely.

High frequency hearing loss.

I work for a company that deals with a hearing examination accidentally.
If somebody is curious, how his hearing, let him go away then onto a place at which
a deaf room and a some kind of clinical audiometer are.
Than the kind we say it Interacoustic AC40 his audiometer.
It is possible to map the high frequency hearing loss if it is supplied with a suitable headset with this only however.
I see it, the hearing examinations cover the 125-8000 Hz of range only otherwise.
This is because they concentrate on the speech understanding only mostly in this manner apparently.
Although hearing aids are manufactured for music hush.
These are the most expensive ones only. What a joy, not only it,
that the terribly expensive one buys it for himself HI-END audio equipment, may add hearing aid
with a similar price position to him if the former equipment would like to take advantage of its abilities.
The tall frequency hearing decrease, some kind is certain quasi in a measure above 40-50 year ages anyway.
Mainly, if somebody noisy lives in environment.

Gyuri

How may I obtain accurate numbers?

Hi, Mooly!

I do not know it, how the things work in England.
The situation is totally chaotic on Hungary here.
It is public health on his area chiefly.
Where it is possible to advertise hearing aids, where though prohibited to do this. There are however free hearing examination actions. Anybody may go away onto an one like this.
Says it at worst, woe but good, I am not very deaf after all!
With this only that trouble, that than I mentioned it above, there is not an opportunity on most place like this onto the examination with an extended frequency.

Gyuri

Ac40

Yes, I say this. I ask indulgence if my thoughts are not understandable always possibly. This only it due, how I am not top notch properly in English, the machine translation programs totally idiotic. But the higher up mentioned AC40 clinical audiometer suitable onto this examination. If this headset is to it: R-80 High frequency headset.

Gyuri

Attachments

• spec_ac40.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 52
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:) Like everything there are proper standards and ways of measuring.
Using ordinary headphones in a PC soundcard isn't meaningful really. Just a bit of fun.
The proper kit will give correct (known) SPL at all the test frequencies I would imagine.
Interesting though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Regular navy testing procedure when i turned 18 was with headphones on in a silent room ... and a morse code key for registering the response.

USAF did the same on me at 18 -- room, key, tones, etc. Wish I still had copies of that test - I was off the charts. The test did not go very high, tho. Maybe 10K?

But I'd hate to see the same test charts done 30 years later. :eek:

"Sorry, what? What did you say?" Sigh......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.