Cleaning Rust and corrosion of metal parts??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So my latest two acquisitions look great on the outside. but the insides show that they were once upon a time stored in a very damp environment!

The aluminum parts look fine. but anything made from steel has rusted. Most of the screws i will just replace but there are some brackets that have rusted that will need to be cleaned/sanded/sandblasted etc.

But some stuff like control shafts, springs, small metal parts that i cant replace or sand will need to somehow be cleaned.

and the backs of some of the controls have a heavy white powdery corrosion on them. I will have to take them apart and see if the insides of the controls are any good. but if they are. i will then need to clean the corrosion off. most of it can just be scraped but if i can wipe or soak the metal parts in something instead that would be better as it wont scratch the metal parts.

Even the solder corroded in places. I'm hoping i can save these.

Any suggestions???

Zc

I have used naval Jelly years and years ago on car rust. Never thought to use that stuff but that just might work for the metal brackets and what not. I will have to read up online on the use of that stuff. I wonder how you stop the reaction once all the rust is gone?

Also, any tips for preserving or sealing the metal once i have it cleaned to help keep it nice once done??

Thanks for the article link, i will read that.

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.