Naked Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am baffled. I recently bought a set of "high-end" speakers. To my dismay I found odd components inside. Naked capacitors! No plastic coating or sheath and connect wires is soldered on at each end. Looks like the foil/plastic is wound onto a plastic bobbin. Is this normal?
Not to mention the CAT 5 cable used inside... :(

Destroyer OS. said:
some people say

You'd be surprised just how many, experimenting with naked lytics in DIY circles started well over 2 decades ago at this end.
Several of the streaker aficionados from back then are registered active members of this club, some you may be familiar with.
A ninkenpoop would just find it odd that an electronic component is insulated with plastic foil, despite that temperature is the main parameter that influences it's very livelihood.

Got a picture of the odd components ?

Hi
I have seen naked caps before. They were for sale in a surplus shop in London.

There has been discussion on the internet about the use of naked capacitors and also the use of thin wiring in loudspeakers to improve the sound.

Regarding the capacitors it just depends how they sound. You do not mention the approx uf value. It would help to know that. I use plastic where possible and electrolytics where a higher value is required. I add a pastic cap in parallel if used in the mid or high range filter.

Regarding the wiring. I just stick with basic engineering. Wiring should be short and thick. I use copper with a silver coating in a ptfe sleeve.

How do the speakers sound?

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.