Behringer ECM8000 question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know want mic the Behringer ECM8000 use. It was looking around for High SPL mics with a wide response to use with the True RTA and came across this company that makes high pressure mics.

http://www.gras.dk/00012/00013/00029/

Check out these mics. This must be want most are using for High SPL mics.

http://www.gras.dk/00012/00013/00029/00117/

I was wondering can the mic in the Behringer be change out for one of these. Most of their preamps have a 7 pin connector on it.

ECM8000 EVALUATION

I have this ECM8000; for its price has fairly good performance in measurements but its body is compact and i don't think that the capsule can be removed without damage.
I quote below pictures from an evaluation of ECM8000 in 3 different sine waves and in one triangle wave, taken from scope for reliability.
The sequence of signal routing is:
Function generator--> Amplifier (Rotel)--> Speaker (Mission780)--> ECM8000--> Mic preamp (DIY)--> Scope.
In all graphs, the upper red trace is the output of generator and the lower blue is the output of mic preamp. You can estimate from pictures the distortion and the phase shift. In 1KHz the phase shift it is zero.

The measurement setup
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sine 10KHz
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sine 20KHz

Sine 100Hz

Triangle 1KHz

Hope are helpfull for you.

Fotios

Hi Here-I-Come,

On the ECM8000 the front cap is glued to the tube with epoxy glue. The cap holds a MCE2000/WA60 electret mic capsule. It is not so easy to get the cap off: You have to clamp the cap in a vice or so and slowly turn the mic housing until the glue breaks.

The electret capsule of the ECM8000 holds a fet impedance converter that goes to the further electronics. The Gras capsules are intended to be connected to their own head amp which incorporates the fet impedance converter (so it is not in the capsule). You cannot connect a Gras capsule to the amp of the ECM8000 directly. Unless you know exactly what you are doing I wouldn’t try it. There are very high impedances involved here (over 100 Mohm). Anyway you have to make an impedance converter yourself then.

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.