Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2008, 04:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sonic Impact Wireless FM transmitter

Can someone school me on this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-968

I have the choice of getting a Sonic Impact Gen 2 T amp for getting
audio from my motherboard for $52 at an online vendor or using the device in the above link.

This device description says that for $14 smackers (US smackers)
I can plug the 3.5 jack into my motherboard sound output
and get playback from my boom box ( a hacked boombox connected to
some large high efficiency custom speaker builds) and tune to an unused frequency and play the computer like the boom box-- through the big custom built speakers.

Right?

What am I missing? This might be the solution to all my needs since the 3 watts amp in the boom box sounds great. The transmitter would be only about 5 ft from the boombox.
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
You would be degrading your sound quality down to fm, and those transmitters never sound good. There is always added noise etc. Your best bet is to get yourself a better amp, even something cheap with a line level input will sound better than running your music through that FM transmitter.

-Justin
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here is a nice vintage receiver that would serve you well...

Vintage AKAI

...much better than the "brand new" alternative for the same price...

Pyle Pro Junk

- Justin
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by despotic931

Pyle Pro Junk

- Justin
Unbunged URL:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-460

Old 3rd October 2008, 06:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Pyle and others

You know, I've seen those mini amps at PE.

But for me there's a 'guilt by association' with these minis.

I had been using a Radio Shack SA 155 in my shop setup. It never sounded right and I learned through hearsay that those inexpensive
mini amps are tuned to emphasize lower frequencies at expense of highs because that's what peeps want to hear.

At the cost of the Pyle, it would make sense to step up to the Sonic Impact Gen2 at $52 plus free shipping.

Also that Akai looks really nice and a bargain. I am quite a ways away from Madison plus not at all familiar with using Craig list. But today it may have gotten snapped up but I'll check it out anyway.

Still curious about what kind of 'noise' the transmitter would make
and how it is tuned to the right frequency.

Thanks to all who have and will reply.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Banned

Buy the Gen 2 T-amp and run cables the 5 feet (or more) to the speakers.

No-one who has heard one can fault it at the price, and while many like to mod them I treat mine as a plug-and-play device. I'm listening to a replay of the VP TV debate thru mine right now. Possibly not everyone's choice of source material, but I've been a player for 40+ years and I can tell you music sounds good too.

w
Old 4th October 2008, 12:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, I am about ready to pop for the Gen2.

Thanks wakibaki

But I found it odd that the more expensive Sonic Impact with the
upgrades is not showing there any more... not at Buy.com either.

I have bought Sonic Impact at Buycom before plus other things.

I have all the questions about the SI because I bought it as a thank you gift last Christmas so I have never heard it with what I've built since then.

I've been asking about the cheapie FM because back here in the shop
I'm listening to FM on a hacked boom box with 3 watts of output to
some 50 cent Pioneer speakers (originally about $10 but giveaways at closeout at PE some years ago.)

The sound to my aging ears with the boom box, Pioneer speakers in a BIB and MLTL built for Fostex FE127 alligator clipped to snipped boom box leads through a hole in the box sound great.

These cheap speaks I've used to experiment with modding such as using Damar (good) cutting out basket legs (no point to it) and
putting putty on the legs (messy and I removed it.)

Given all that, is the FM transmitter still a bad idea?
Old 4th October 2008, 05:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Pyle and others

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek

Unbunged URL:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-460

Hehe, thanks Geek, it'd been a long night...

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
You know, I've seen those mini amps at PE.

But for me there's a 'guilt by association' with these minis.

I had been using a Radio Shack SA 155 in my shop setup. It never sounded right and I learned through hearsay that those inexpensive
mini amps are tuned to emphasize lower frequencies at expense of highs because that's what peeps want to hear.

At the cost of the Pyle, it would make sense to step up to the Sonic Impact Gen2 at $52 plus free shipping.

Also that Akai looks really nice and a bargain. I am quite a ways away from Madison plus not at all familiar with using Craig list. But today it may have gotten snapped up but I'll check it out anyway.

Still curious about what kind of 'noise' the transmitter would make
and how it is tuned to the right frequency.

Thanks to all who have and will reply.
I have never heard the SI amp, but have heard good things about it, especially the Gen 2. The only downfall is the lack of the ability to also listen to FM (unless you have a stand alone tuner).

The Akai has really caught my eye, but I don't need another vintage receiver. Besides it's quite the drive for me too, as I am currently in Beloit.

As far as using the FM transmitter goes, here is how it works: First you set the transmitter to broadcast on any given station, with this particular model it will only broadcast to 4 different frequencies, so if those frequencies have stuff already being locally broadcasted on them already you are SOL. Second you tune your radio to the same station that you have set the transmitter to broadcast on. Third you hear music, but it is distorted, noisy, and utterly degraded. And Finally, the fourth step, you throw the transmitter to the ground in disgust, and jump up and down on it in frustration until your significant other makes you go get a broom and clean up the mess.

I personally have used several different FM transmitters for my iPod when in my car, and have spent over $60.00 per unit on a couple of them just trying to find a good one, in the end I should have just purchased a new head unit for my car with an aux in on it. It would have saved me money and I would have gotten much better quality. BTW I still am using an FM transmitter, it's a $50.00 unit, and noisy as hell, but it's the best I've found.

- Justin
Old 4th October 2008, 02:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks for the full story. This means that FM transmitters are noisy rather than just 'audiophile noisy' which was what I wanted to know. On these forums sometimes the terms are different.

And yes, they ought to be able to make an inexpensive t-amp with a radio in it. Hook that up to the pc and go. There have been expensive t-amp based receivers but I can't figure out why there isn't some clone job out there. Or it has one thing and not the other.

For computer there is some device from Sony that is designed for game machines, is tri path amp based but with that I don't see any way to change the speakers.

So the SI is still the final choice with limited selection.
Old 4th October 2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

FM tuners and T-Amps together are not a great fit.

The Tripath chip generally switches at about 800Khz, but the harmonics go way up into the FM band. The power of those harmonics is going to depend on how well the amp is filtered and sheilded.

It can work, you just need to be aware of the problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!