Valve amps are rubbish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted "valve amps are rubbish" in the subject field to make folks jump! I am a newcomer/ returnee to DIY high end audio.
(The last thing I built was in 1969) I have been reading around the subject for a few years now, and my brain hurts! I have a good basic working knowledge of electronics and I keep reading things that I have to question, A spray or green pen that improve the sound from CD`s!, insulators to keep your speaker cables off the floor!, Loosening the bolts in your amp chassis!!, Supports to go under a CD player, the list goes on and on! I recently found 2 websites that expose some of the myths.

http://www.ilikejam.org/blog/audio/audiophile.html

http://www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/wisdom.html

The only thing I AM sure of is that my valve amp sounds better than any solid state amp I have ever heard, given that I prefer classical/orchestral music. I dare say someone (probably much younger than me) who prefers big band or hard rock would prefer solid state, I did once,- but for about 15minutes, in 1969. - after that it started to hurt my ears - literally!

Please read the info on the sites above, it`s educational stuff!
What I, and many others would like to know about ,are things that don`t seem to make scientific sense but do APPEAR to have an effect in the general opinion.

In reply to post from tinitus, stating that supports under CD drive improve the sound, I don`t know either way! I havent tried it because it doesn`t seem to make any sense, being a digital transfer.
The reason for my post is to try to get a discussion as to what things really do appear to make a difference.

TEXAS TOMM said:
things that don`t seem to make scientific sense but do APPEAR to have an effect in the general opinion.

There are none. There are many that APPEAR to have an effect in some individuals' opinion, there are many disputed phenomena which don't make scientific sense but there are no agreed phenomena which don't make scientific sense but do appear to have an effect.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.