updating Tachometer circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how I could update this 40+ year old tachometer circuit and use silicone transistors instead of the hard to find germanium ones. Any other ideas would be welcome as well.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• motach1.gif
    motach1.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 121
Does the circuit work? If it does, leave it alone.

If it doesn't try building one with AC128 germanium transistors, you can get these, it looks about right to me, although somebody else might know better.

These old auto circuits are sometimes a bit nadgery, I can't be sure without a bit more work, maybe you'd get away with substituting a 1A 30+V PNP silicon transistor but maybe the other values would need tweaking, the path of least resistance is just to try the germanium ones.

w

You could lash up a couple circuits to try this out on veroboard in a few minutes if you have on hand or get in the components, and it won't cost much in the scheme of things if you're restoring an old car. You want a Zener that will pass an Amp. Oh, the thermistor. I'll think about that...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.