NFB and Electron Propagation (from Blind Testing)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: ERRONYMUS BOSCH.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

It is still an error no matter how small.

Thanks to compounded small errors we miss out on fidelity which is why we should consider the error in every single component, heck, even an inch of wire or a silly fuseholder for all I care.

Cheers, ;)

....the purpose, and indeed, the beauty of negative feedback of course, is that such 'errors', non-linearity, noise,...etc...are rendered inaudible in a well designed amp...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
NOPE...

Hi,

the purpose, and indeed, the beauty of negative feedback of course, is that such 'errors', non-linearity, noise,...etc...are rendered inaudible in a well designed amp...

No Sir, the errors are there and always will be.
What NFB does is attenuate them by a defined amount usually expressed in dB and by the same token introduce other timing related problems.

The only beauty I find in feedback is when it is applied locally, not globally and even then I remain skeptical of it.

Feeding back,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: ERRONYMUS BOSCH.

Brett said:

...correct..beautifully written thesis not withstanding....see cordell....'A MOSFET Power Amplifier with error correction', and refereces cited theroff, with regard to DIM, TIM, etc, and relationship to THD.....Note that the author of the thesis cites a zero feedback design 'cary, reviewed in stereophile, where the reviewer asserts the amp comminicates i n a way he has not experianced before....is this not the same publication that refered to the Halcro, (with substantial feedback, and error correction), as the worlds best amp.?......consistency is not the province of these publications i fear...

i take issue with this thesis from its very title...which implies that existing methods of measurement do 'not correlate' with perceived sound quality......

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: NOPE...

fdegrove said:
Hi,

No Sir, the errors are there and always will be.
What NFB does is attenuate them by a defined amount usually expressed in dB and by the same token introduce other timing related problems.

The only beauty I find in feedback is when it is applied locally, not globally and even then I remain skeptical of it.

Feeding back,;)

...What 'timing related' problems does feedback introduce?

...and on what grounds do you consider local negative feedback to be superior to its global application?

...and precisely why do you nevertheless remain sceptical of the whole shooting match...

...do'nt get me wrong, if there is something you are attempting to teach me here, i am more than willing to learn , but please be gentle.... ;) ....i need to be taken from first principals....

Re: Harold S. Black.

fdegrove said:
Error correction, no matter how fast, is always, by nature, a correction occuring after the event, in casu an error.

That rather describes our whole existence, doesn't it?

I mean, everything we experience we experience after the fact. Light. Sound. Never impulses. They all travel at finite speeds. We can only experience, respond and react to our surroundings as they existed in the near past, never in the present.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
I'M IMPRESSED.

Hi,

I mean, everything we experience we experience after the fact. Light. Sound. Never impulses. They all travel at finite speeds. We can only experience, respond and react to our surroundings as they existed in the near past, never in the present.

Very good insight Steve, I'm duly impressed...
By the same token it also shows that you don't seem to grasp the fact that feedback in amplifiers is an event after the actual event , time delayed after the natural time delay?

No such thing as the present,;)

Re: I'M IMPRESSED.

fdegrove said:
Very good insight Steve, I'm duly impressed...
By the same token it also shows that you don't seem to grasp the fact that feedback in amplifiers is an event after the actual event , time delayed after the natural time delay?

How does it show that I don't grasp the fact that feeback in amplifiers is an event after the actual time event, time delayed after the natrual time delay? If I hadn't grasped that fact, I wouldn't have expanded it to include our own sensory existence. I didn't say anything specifically about negative feedback in amplifiers because there was simply nothing to add.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear your reasoning behind 100kHz being a "limited frequency response" in the context of audio.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Harold S. Black.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Error correction, no matter how fast, is always, by nature, a correction occuring after the event, in casu an error.

Hence my skepticicsm,;)

A common enough misconception...ie...delayed feedback....can never occur in a stable system,(can anybody see why?), if it did you would have a very efficient power oscillator......

Re: Re: Harold S. Black.

mikek said:
A common enough misconception...ie...delayed feedback....can never occur in a stable system,(can anybody see why?), if it did you would have a very efficient power oscillator......

Well let's see, the only way to NOT have delayed feedback would be if you happened to live in some strange parallel universe where electromagnetic waves propagated with infinite speed. On this planet, you can only ideally do as good as the speed of light, which is near infinitely slower than infinite.

So if no delay of feedback can occur in a stable system, then there must not be a stable system anywhere on earth.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Harold S. Black.

Steve Eddy said:

Well let's see, the only way to NOT have delayed feedback would be if you happened to live in some strange parallel universe where electromagnetic waves propagated with infinite speed. On this planet, you can only ideally do as good as the speed of light, which is near infinitely slower than infinite.

So if no delay of feedback can occur in a stable system, then there must not be a stable system anywhere on earth.

se

.....you cannot have delayed feedback for a stable negative feedback audio power amp..........the output, and by implication and the fraction thereof that is fed back, must respond instanteneously to input stimuli, even though it may, in charging and discharging design and parasitic time constants, take longer to complete it's response....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Harold S. Black.

mikek said:
.....you cannot have delayed feedback for a stable negative feedback audio power amp.

Then an amp cannot have negative feedback?

If you take the output of a device and feed it back to the input, there has to be a delay. The feedback signal is from the past wrt main signal, no way around that.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Harold S. Black.

planet10 said:

If you take the output of a device and feed it back to the input, there has to be a delay. The feedback signal is from the past wrt main signal, no way around that.

Yup. Unless you live in mikek's parallel universe where electromagnetic waves propagate with infinite speed.

In this universe, the best you can ideally achieve is 300 million meters per second. In realworld applications, a percentage of that depending on the medium which the electromagnetic waves are propagating.

se

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Harold S. Black.

planet10 said:

You might want to see my post here:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=150727#post150727

Basically, the feedback "speed" is a non-issue that appears to have been created for the reasons in the post referenced above.

Null testing with music driving real speakers is sufficient proof for anyone who wants to verify that high nfb amplifiers, as a rule, indeed have fewer kinds of ALL distortions than low NFB amps do.

I think what mikek was trying to say is if you create even a fraction of a cycle of feedback delay at ultrasonic frequencies--somewhere around 0.000005 seconds--you end up with an oscillator instead of an amplifier. As Steve Eddy correctly points out, the speed at which the signal moves through copper is so fast as to simply not be an issue here.

Quoting Self, p43:

"No linear circuit can introduce a pure time-delay; the output must begin to respond at once, even if it take a long time to complete its response. In the typical amplifier the dominant-pole capacitor introduces a 90 degree phase shift between the input-pair and the output at all but the lowest audio frequencies, but this is not a true time delay. The phrase 'delayed feedback' is often used to describe this situation, and it is a wretchedly inaccurate term. If you really delay the feedback to a power amplifier, (which can only be done by adding a time-constant to the feedback network rather than the forward path) it will quickly turn into the proverbial power oscillator as sure as night follows day."

So fdegrove was simply raising a common audiophile red herring here with no basis in fact.

Steve Eddy said:

This is a common misunderstanding about double blind listening tests.

There is absolutely no requirement whatsoever that one only listen to short intervals of music. This erroneous notion seems to stem from the desirability of fast switching times. Fast switching time does not mean short intervals of music. The intervals of music may be as long as the listener desires.

I understand everything about DBT, but you wouldn't say that it is common practice to have DBT listening intervals longer than few minutes. I have never participated in DBT that lasted a week :dead:

Steve Eddy said:

So short switching times actually IMPROVES the sensitivity of the test.

Of course; switching should be as fast as possible, but listening intervals shouldn't be short.

To me, analogy with taste (or other human senses) is obvious;
if I take a sip of wine (or beer) I'm not very familiar with, and than take sip of another similar sort of wine (and every other parameter is the same - temperature, glass etc.) I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But if somebody switch a beer I'm drinking for a long period of time for some other brand I would probably notice a difference.;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RED HERRING?

Hi,

A red whale perhaps?

So if you feel global NFB does not have a deleterious effect on the sound when badly applied and carelessly used than be my guest.

It just seems you missed my point but never mind, there will be more of those to come...:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.