I'm gonna have to learn to consider WAF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2008, 04:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Default I'm gonna have to learn to consider WAF

So, this weekend I got on one knee and popped the question to the girlfriend! I suppose I should get a head start and begin considering WAF in my projects. Any advice, audio/video related, or not, as I take this plunge? (I've already been told that my case-less ps1 cd player will not be allowed in our first home, hehe)

-Justin
Old 8th September 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

How it works with my wife is ask her what she would like to see. If she can't answer, next time your out shopping and come along related equipment, ask her what she likes and most important, why.

You will score brownie point because:

1) you include her
2) you're interested in her opinion
3) you trust her input

Or at least you're making the appearance that you do

Niceley finished wood is almost always a hit

Cheers!
Old 9th September 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well it's a good thing I am as capable a wood worker as I am when it comes to electronics, well, at least I think it's a good thing...

Do most of you guys get approval prior to starting to project, or do you just finish it and then deal with the result?
Old 9th September 2008, 01:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I show the wife wood samples I've pre finished and ask her which she likes.

Chassis work has no WAF if the tubes are showing, nor do exposed speaker drivers, so it's always a 50/50 - she's happy with the wood, I'm happy with the tubes or sound.

Cheers!
Old 9th September 2008, 03:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
I show the wife wood samples I've pre finished and ask her which she likes.

Chassis work has no WAF if the tubes are showing, nor do exposed speaker drivers, so it's always a 50/50 - she's happy with the wood, I'm happy with the tubes or sound.

Cheers!

That is actually an excellent idea! I have yet to discuss the fiances opinion of tubes, or is it just an assumed fact that they will not share our opinions on glowing tubes being amazing to see. IMO if it has tubes the tubes have to be visible...

-J
Old 10th September 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
amiklos is offline amiklos  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by despotic931

Do most of you guys get approval prior to starting to project, or do you just finish it and then deal with the result?
Get approval all along the way. I've even made cardboard mockups before to show my wife the scale we were dealing with. Last night I brought in raw cabinets and set them on stands so she could stare at them and decide what color she wants them.

We each have things that are not up for debate, but most times we're able to work out a creative solution that meets both of our needs, like equipment racks hidden in cabinets, subwoofers disguised as end tables, absorption materials hidden in window treatments, etc.. Women just seem averse to the beauty of exposed audio gear on display as art .

Congrats on the engagement!
Old 10th September 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Congratulations! The real problem will begin when the baby arrives. Say goodbye to exposed tubes, speakers without stout grillecloths, class A amps (hot), towers that can be pulled over...
Old 10th September 2008, 01:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
she's happy with the wood, I'm happy with the tubes or sound.
Geek please this is a forum for the whole family!
Old 10th September 2008, 01:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm gonna have to learn to consider WAF
Ahem... it's all about give and take. Why should she be the one to dictate everything. Marriage is a battle and by caving in this early you are setting a precarious precedent!!
Old 11th September 2008, 04:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amiklos

Get approval all along the way. I've even made cardboard mockups before to show my wife the scale we were dealing with. Last night I brought in raw cabinets and set them on stands so she could stare at them and decide what color she wants them.

We each have things that are not up for debate, but most times we're able to work out a creative solution that meets both of our needs, like equipment racks hidden in cabinets, subwoofers disguised as end tables, absorption materials hidden in window treatments, etc.. Women just seem averse to the beauty of exposed audio gear on display as art .

Congrats on the engagement!
I like the cardboard mockup idea, and color is a good choice to be left to her as well. I have come to begin to understand your last sentence when one day I was drooling over a pair of Joe Rasmussen's Elsinore speakers, which I plan to build sometime after the wedding, and she commented "but you can see the speaker...". I don't want to imagine her response to a pair of open baffles...

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Congratulations! The real problem will begin when the baby arrives. Say goodbye to exposed tubes, speakers without stout grillecloths, class A amps (hot), towers that can be pulled over...
Thank god that's a long ways off! I don't plan on having children until we have a house with a spare room that can become "Daddy's room". I room that the door can remain closed and the baby can remain out unless supervised!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman

Ahem... it's all about give and take. Why should she be the one to dictate everything. Marriage is a battle and by caving in this early you are setting a precarious precedent!!
Bas, I must say, I like the way you think! Point taken!

Thanks for the advice and the congratulations guys! Out of curiosity, do any of you have wives that enjoy listening as much as you do?

-J

Hide this!Advertise here!