Advice Needed - Looking for a function generator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to buy a function generator primarily for audio projects although I'm sure I'll use it for other projects as well. Do you guys have any advice on what features I should look for? I see that some generators produce sine and square waves only - no triangle waves. Others produce all three types of waves. Is this an issue? Any comments regarding features, trusted units that you guys use, etc.. will be appreciated.

Thanks,
UncleJessie

Get a used Wavetek

if you need triangle waves there are always Wavetek 180 series function generators on EBay for around $50 to $100 -- I use one -- it sweeps, has TTL output etc., you can adjust the offset and the thing will remain constant for days on end. (there is one for sale on EBay now.) Just search under wavetek, there are a variety of models.

the reason you <b>may</b> need triangle waves -- dV/dt is constant -- so if you want to see how an amplifier is really responding it's much easier to push in a triangle wave and visualize where you have a problem if you are using a triangle wave instead of a sine wave. For a high voltage poWer supply I built recently the triangle generator was invaluable. You can also use the triangle wave in a rudimentary inductance, impedance or capacitance measuring circuit.

You can also "repurpose" high end test equipment to use the signal generator. The HP 3581 Wave Analyzer, for instance, has a nice sweep generator built in AND it has a tracking filters. This instrument is an absolute steal for around $100. I put the entire manual on my website when I broke my leg last year (too bored watching Joan Crawford movies.) Here's a link: http://www.tech-diy.com/hp3581.htm

others I use -- a much POOGE'd Heathkit -- the distortion is down to 0.003%, two HP RF generators and one B&K precision, and two pulse generators -- one Tek, the other Systron Donner.

The pic below is a Wavetek 180 for sale on EBay right now:

Attachments

• wavetek.jpeg
    wavetek.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.