Pre amp for camera

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi! Et bienvenu au forum!

It should not be too hard to build a mic preamp like that - just a dual opamp will do. I have seen plans around the web, but can't find any at the moment. (of course)

Does your microphone need power? That's going to make a difference.

Do you want something that is high performance like the unit you showed, and will be relatively expensive?

The unit is expensive, but in fact some people in the past have opened it and put the diagram on the web, today pictures are deleted.

But they said "you can buy each part at a local electronic shop for cheap." They are really disappointed to buy it, even the sound of this unit is really good.

Fouko said:
But they said "you can buy each part at a local electronic shop for cheap." They are really disappointed to buy it, even the sound of this unit is really good.

I have my doubts about that, the device sounds like it uses premium transformers, and you can tell the difference in sound quality between an expensive transformer and a cheap one.

In any case, the interface can be done as simply as using 2 XLR jacks and 1 stereo phono plug and wire, or as complex as you finding 2 line level transformers locally if you really want to try to do something higher end. Which do you want to try?

My thoughts. Using transformers is good for this. A major problem with using a camcorder with an ext mic especially with a long lead is hum pickup. This can usually be cured by running the camera on its battery and not using an ac power pack. To have batteries in a small case is a hassle for diy and in the field, a purely passive solution using transformers is a very good solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.